What's new

Poor cellular and WiFi signal?

RipGroove

Reaction score
Since getting the iPhone 6 both my cellular and WiFi signal has been very poor, cellular signal keeps disappearing even in areas where my old phone (Galaxy S2) would be fine, and WiFi keeps disconnecting every 30secs even when I'm near the router. Nothing has changed with the router and I'm still with the same cell provider so the only thing that's changed is the phone itself. Not very happy TBH, anyone else notice this?

Sent from my iPhone

Every time my wifi drops I have to manually switch wifi off and back on again and it'll work again for a short period of time (around 10-30secs)

Spoke to my carrier and apparently a cell tower near me is experiencing problems so that "might" account for the poor cell signal BUT that doesn't explain why the WiFi drops every 30secs.

I'm at work and everyone around me is connected to our WiFi just fine, so it HAS to be a problem with the iPhone 6 [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone

Have you tried resetting your WiFi router? Have you tried using WiFi in different locations to see if the problem is present no matter where the WiFi signal is coming from?

Yeah have reset router, reset all settings on phone, switched of 4G and mobile data etc but the wifi just keeps dropping

Sent from my iPhone

Seems like a phone issue to me as it comes back for a short time if I manually switch wifi off and back on. Still only stays connected for a very short time though.

Sent from my iPhone

Maybe it's time for a Genius Bar appointment at the closest Apple Store? A diagnostic would confirm whether or not your WiFi is defective.

Maybe it's time for a Genius Bar appointment at the closest Apple Store? A diagnostic would confirm whether or not your WiFi is defective.
Yeah will see how it is over the next few days. Hoping that somehow the cell tower near me that's having problems is somehow forcing my phone to drop wifi because it keeps trying to connect to cell data.

Sent from my iPhone

Try turning on airplane mode then turn WiFi on. That would remove the possibility of the cellular connection from interfering with your WiFi.

Try turning on airplane mode then turn WiFi on. That would remove the possibility of the cellular connection from interfering with your WiFi.
Good plan, am home now and have no wifi as I've just moved house but will try that tomorrow when I'm back at work again.

Sent from my iPhone

I'd say have them look at it. I'm experiencing better signal quality with my 6 then I had with my LG G3.

Both WiFi and cellular signal was a bit better yesterday so will see how it is over the next few days. We have another iPhone 6 arriving in the household today so will have something to compare it to.

Something else I've noticed though is I'll only get the 3G when other devices around me will have 4G (yes I have 4G turned on). I can get 4G in places but it seems that other devices will get it in places that I cannot. So again it seems the phone is lacking in signal strength etc [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone

Both WiFi and cellular signal was a bit better yesterday so will see how it is over the next few days. We have another iPhone 6 arriving in the household today so will have something to compare it to.

Something else I've noticed though is I'll only get the 3G when other devices around me will have 4G (yes I have 4G turned on). I can get 4G in places but it seems that other devices will get it in places that I cannot. So again it seems the phone is lacking in signal strength etc [emoji20]

Sent from my iPhone

OK so randomly my WiFi fixed itself last week, it's now rock solid and is always there before I wake the phone up. It's been solid for about a week now with no changes made to the routers at home or at work.

Have now updated to 8.1 so hoping that the cellular signal will improve.

Sent from my iPhone

Both my wife's and my iPhone 6 lose wifi signal to the point I have to power cycle the phones. If I go an extended period of time without lte it will make me power cycle the phone to get lte back. I am hoping 8.1.1 fixes it.