What's new

Phones using 3G instead of wifi...?

hlve

Reaction score
Heya.

Just got my new 3GS, and either found a bug, or something rather annoying.

When I'm at home, I have my phone connect to my wifi router. Though, I lose all my cell signal quite often.. And when this happens.. And I go near a window to get the signal back... My phone tries to use the 3G (confirmed by ip) instead of my wifi.

Mind you, my wifi signal does not drop and remains at full bars this entire time. But for whatever reason when my cell signal is restored it tries using my 3G service instead.

Also note.. My 3G that is now broke never did this.

This is really annoying because I have to then go and manually renew my wifi lease each time.

Anyone have any clues?

Last edited:
Not sure. I may be having something similar happen but I attribute it to the jailbreak as it didnt happen before I did it but yeah it doesn't want to stay connected to the wifi sometimes. I don't know why.

I'm having a similar issue. I have full bars and have it connected to the wifi in my house. I start using like IHeartRadio or Pandora and it just randomly drops the wifi and starts using the 3G even though the wifi is still connected the whole time. I'm at a loss and don't want to run up a huge bill for too much 3G usage when I have perfectly good (not to mention password protected) wifi in my own home. Ideas?

Murph8up said:
Try disabling 3G in your settings when using wifi. Go to settings>network>3G>disable. You'll find you have better reception and a longer battery life as well. Good luck!

Now how's that affect phone calls and text messaging??? Won't that stop those from coming through?

Does not bother either phone calls or text. You'll be on the older network "edge". Better phone reception with a longer battery life

Here is useful information! I am using wifi at my office but never face this type of problems.

Try disabling 3G in your settings when using wifi. Go to settings>network>3G>disable. You'll find you have better reception and a longer battery life as well. Good luck!

When i go into my settings there is no option to pick ' Network ', its simply not there.

Murph8up: Thanks much for this tip about disabling Wifi. My battery life is awful on my 3gs and I am going to disable Wifi. If you have any other setting suggestions for the 3gs, I would be very appreciative. Thanks much.

Murph8up: Thanks much for this tip about disabling Wifi. My battery life is awful on my 3gs and I am going to disable Wifi. If you have any other setting suggestions for the 3gs, I would be very appreciative. Thanks much.
This will not disable WIFI, only disable 3G networking, and return you to the EDGE network. But you will get better battery life,and much better reception.

When i go into my settings there is no option to pick ' Network ', its simply not there.
Sorry for the confusion, settings>general>network. There you will see network, then you can disable 3G. Again,sorry for the mix-up.

Cheers for that pal, i will only be using 3g very infrequently (when at work) so my home network is what i want to use all the other times. Ta

Glad to be of help with this issue. Oh, by the way, I do not recommend upgrading to ios6 at this time. Not for your 3GS. I, on the other hand, made that mistake. You will not be able to downgrade unless you have saved your SHSH blobs. Be wary of the new software at this time. Wait for ios6.1.

Thanks Murph. I have upgraded to ios6 already or actually I took my 3gs to an AT&T Store and they did it for me using their Wifi. I have to say I am not pleased at all with my 3gs, the battery is CONSTANTLY draining and I barely use the phone other then for a texting. Any suggestions, greatly appreciated. Thanks much.