What's new

PLEASE HELP! Iphone 4g wont boot after a JB/Unlock

bckeefe2004

Reaction score
OK so I have iphone 4g ios4.0 baseband 01.59.00

I used the tutorial and made NO mistake in doing so.

Long story short:

The first thing i did was to go to itunes and back up the phone THEN I Used Jailbreak Me, slid the slider and before i knew it it had Installed Cydia(which tells me the phone was JB)

Went into cydia and followed the directions to unlock w/ ultrasnow or whatever it was. Either way i had to type in the addy so it was whatever they told me to type in....

So now it asks me to perform 4 easy more steps, I do , the phone scrolls like a madman which tells me its unlocking, something like a "bigboss" thing is loaded, and 4 mins later my phone says its unlocked and please reboot......

I touch button, phone turns off and reboots.......10 mins go by w/ apple logo on screen and nothing....10 more go by and now im nervous. I call apple and they tell me to restore the phone.....Hell no i have the only true unlockable baseband i say which leaves me to present day.

What can I do?

I tried the dfu thing and finally got the phone to turn off, tried to turn on and it sticks at the logo, i dfu it or hard reset i should say which turns phon off......I then go into intunes and see my last backup occurred 11-12-2011 so i guess my backup of everything didnt take even though i swear i saw the syncing on both itunes and ion the phone. Where did this go?

How do i reload the ios4 into the phone without itunes? how do i get phone to fully reboot and turn on so that i can see what is happening???

Please help Im a slave to my phone and as sad as it is didnt realize it until now.

Ill be in and out to see if any replies or links can help.......ty in advance and ty for reading!

Hi there.

First of all, in order to restore, you can only restore to 4.1 (which is still signed by apple, anything above that is not signed, and you can only go to 5.0.1).

Second, don't panic.

Third, you can go to 5.0.1 if you like , by making a custom ipsw and thus preserving your baseband so you can unlock your phone.

I think the white letters you saw were NOT your phone unlocking, they were the repo being added, and it was downloading packages and updating.

There might have been a compatibility issue and that's why your phone got stuck.

In order to fully back up iphone, you need to have selected what it is that you want to backup.

Anyways, let me know what you want to do (restore to 4.1 or go to 5.0.1) and I will tell you what to do exactly and you will be good as new.

Thanks alot for the quick reply. I used the process of JB and Unlock over at iclarifed it was like enter your baseband, enter the ios and go from there it was cake up until it didnt boot.

So my baseband is still good and nothing is screwed up right?

I appreciate it. What would you do? 4.0.1 or 5.0.1? I'm writing this bc i listened to myself so maybe i should listen to someone else....lol
Maybe i misspoke when refering to 4.0 as you said it but here is the link that i followed:
Please do not post external links. Read our rules.

All i know is i clicked the circle at bottom which was 4.0.0.

I;m kinda annoyed if my phone wasnt combaqtible as it was 4.0 so i clicked 4.0, it was baseband 01.59 so i clicked it, and it was an iphone 4g so i clicked it. If you have time the link below id the starting point....i did it, jb and then unlocked per the instructions. i heard this site is legit but maybe not.

What are the pors and cons to restoring to 4.1 vs 5.0.1 and like i said ty. Also pick which one you would restore to. Another question is this preserving baseband.....so if i upgrade to a highr ios say next year or i sell phone and buyer updates will i lose the unlock and have to do unlock all over again? OR not have to worry about it ever again. My concern is that i sell the phone and the buyer gets screwed bc the phone locks up and isnt able to use it outside the att network......

So if you can remember im a noobert and all this stuff is confusing to me even the ispw and the restoring and all that. Maybe i shouldnt have done this myself but the guys on CL couldnt even tell me what version of redsn0w they were using as im interested in JB my 3gs and when they dont know it scares me. So i figured by reqading the directions to the jailbreakme and unlocking via ultrasn0w it was ez but even if it was my 4g is shot.

Please advise and again ty for this. I read online and couldnt an answer that compared to another answer so basically it was 20 different things wrong and 20 different truobleshoots from 20 people.........

Last edited by a moderator:
Why do people say to NOT use IE and use Firefox when downloading the ispw and other programs RE jaibreaking. And why would a zip file cause a mistake with the software?

Also here is exactly the method i used so you know:

No external links, please!

Last edited by a moderator:
Also one last question....so when i restore will i have facotry seetings and ill lose all my contacts, notes, apps, everything right? There is no way to tweek the phone and force the boot so that i can at least get my info out of phone and then restore?

Alright first of all, you can't select a zip file, you would have to unzip it and use the ipsw.

The pros and cons...........well, ios 5 is newer for one, there are great new features such as icloud, imessage and so on, that you would definitely be missing out on.

I don't really see a reason to stay in ios 4 since there is an unlock for ios 5.0.1 and an untethered jailbreak. What's more, if you don't go and Apple releases ios 5.1, you won't be able to go to 5.0.1 and thus not be able to jailbreak and unlock so you will be stuck.

It is a very simple procedure with the whole restoring/updating/jailbreaking/unlocking.

Jailbreakme.com only works up until 4.3.3. If you go to 5.0.1 you will have to use redsn0w 0.9.10b3 but it is relatively easy as well.

Let me know what you wish to do and I will give you a totally detailed guide on what to do.

And yes, restoring will lose everything (but you need to do it and setup as new because otherwise there will be issues with the previous jailbreak left-overs).

For contacts, you can use MyContacts Backup from the AppStore, it is free and very easy to get the contacts backed up and then restored.

For the rest of the stuff, you have to right click on your phone in itunes and do Transfer Purchases, and also Backup Iphone, and it will get all your stuff in itunes, and you can later on SYNC it back to the phone (not restore it).

Wow...Im such a dummy. I guess i never thought of the consequesces of something going wrong. OK 5.0.1 it is.

You said:''''For contacts, you can use MyContacts Backup from the AppStore, it is free and very easy to get the contacts backed up and then restored.

For the rest of the stuff, you have to right click on your phone in itunes and do Transfer Purchases, and also Backup Iphone, and it will get all your stuff in itunes, and you can later on SYNC it back to the phone (not restore it).''''

How can i do this if i can turn the phone on? If i restore the contacts are also dunzo. Is this what i can do to avoid a problem in the future once i ficx my current problem or is it something i have hope for now. I have soooooo much stuff just on my notes that i have alreadt written off and honestly can say it has cost me at east 3000 losing the info i had. I know I know im a dumass. Anyway please advise and ty so much for dealing with my noob ass. I can sell an eskimo blocks of ice and even thrive in florida opening a ski and snowmobile shop but this baseband, ios, and other lingo is killing me. I have spent a week reading about all this stuff and just when i have a handle on it i lose it within an hour.

OK so beggars cant be choosers but in a perfect world i would have a detailed tutorial almost like i was in china and you in the USA and we are on the phone and youre guiding me through the process live. Thats how dumb I am and technolocially "unsavvy" I am. I have no problem paying for services but it seems like all the guys on craigslist where i live are dumber than me. I mean who uses a tethered jailbreak when there is an unthethered proven champ? Half the dummies here do. Im in Ft Myers btw and see your a fellow Floridian.......ty again........Please tell me I can recoup this info sitting on my phone before the restore and that what you say above is a only a preventative measure i should take AFTER I do this restore.

bckeefe2004 said:
Wow...Im such a dummy. I guess i never thought of the consequesces of something going wrong. OK 5.0.1 it is.

You said:''''For contacts, you can use MyContacts Backup from the AppStore, it is free and very easy to get the contacts backed up and then restored.

For the rest of the stuff, you have to right click on your phone in itunes and do Transfer Purchases, and also Backup Iphone, and it will get all your stuff in itunes, and you can later on SYNC it back to the phone (not restore it).''''

How can i do this if i can turn the phone on? If i restore the contacts are also dunzo. Is this what i can do to avoid a problem in the future once i ficx my current problem or is it something i have hope for now. I have soooooo much stuff just on my notes that i have alreadt written off and honestly can say it has cost me at east 3000 losing the info i had. I know I know im a dumass. Anyway please advise and ty so much for dealing with my noob ass. I can sell an eskimo blocks of ice and even thrive in florida opening a ski and snowmobile shop but this baseband, ios, and other lingo is killing me. I have spent a week reading about all this stuff and just when i have a handle on it i lose it within an hour.

OK so beggars cant be choosers but in a perfect world i would have a detailed tutorial almost like i was in china and you in the USA and we are on the phone and youre guiding me through the process live. Thats how dumb I am and technolocially "unsavvy" I am. I have no problem paying for services but it seems like all the guys on craigslist where i live are dumber than me. I mean who uses a tethered jailbreak when there is an unthethered proven champ? Half the dummies here do. Im in Ft Myers btw and see your a fellow Floridian.......ty again........Please tell me I can recoup this info sitting on my phone before the restore and that what you say above is a only a preventative measure i should take AFTER I do this restore.

Well, for one, go to itunes and see if there is a previous backup listed in there..

Edit: you said the last one was in december.

Try doing this first to see if we can get the phone running...

Hold down power/home buttons together, until phone turns off and back on. Do this twice in a row.

Last edited:
No dice. Its not even reading the phone. I also just did some dumb i think. About an hr ago i downloaded the official 5.0.1 ios from apple and instead of moving on my comp im pretty sure i chose to have it directly put on itunes. Tell me that i did the right thing and if i didnt tell me i cand reverse it without uninstalling itunes. Im on the latest version of itunes fwiw but the phone isnt even showing up on the left side as it usually does. I do know i have opted out of the allow itunes to sync upon plugging in phone an tried to see if turing o the auto sync would help but it hasnt and im exactly where i was 6 hrs ago. No phone and no hope for saving the info on the phone.

Side note. I have a 3gs 5.0.1 / 5.16 and i just loaded the official Apple final 5.0.1 from their server via firefox. I may have made a mistake. I elected to have it load directly onto itunes is this ok? Also im on win7 and typed "ipsw" in the search box to see if it loaded anywhere on my comp but all that shows is a ref in an old emAil do i need on my comp? Do i need to delete of itunes? How to i find it if it actully downloaded to itunes as i elected befoe the download. I know ill need for the restore on the 4g and also i would like to update my 3gs just incase the 5.0.1 on my phone isnt the final. Is this ok? Sorry for all the ?'s. i just dont want to screw up this 3gs.

Why do people say to NOT use IE and use Firefox when downloading the ispw and other programs RE jaibreaking. And why would a zip file cause a mistake with the software?

Also here is exactly the method i used so you know:

No external links, please!

Sorry Moderator. I must have missed that when skimming the rules. It will not happen again.

~B