What's new

Phone won't power off due to big file still downloading

ajsoftail

Reaction score
I was forwarding chunks of emails from another email account to my personal email account on my home computer. This has turned into several large files containing several emails each, some with attachments, so some of the emails are over 3 megs in size. The ones that came to my iPhone, I was just going in and deleting them since I didn't need them on the phone.

The screen went blank (white) after I hit edit, went down the list, deleted several of them and hit the delete button. It was frozen with the white screen and I didn't know what to do and so I tried to power off the phone and now for the last 6 hours the phone is trying to power off and just has the black screen with the little circle spinning in the middle.

Help??? My phone is my only phone I have. Can anyone even call me with the phone like this?? What can I do? I have an iPhone 4 by the way.

Hi ajsoftail, let's try this... hold down the power on/off button and the home button at the same time until the phone reboot him self and you see the apple logo again, then release the buttons and let it reboot. Then try to delete the messages one by one.

I tried that and at first the apple logo screen was frozen on there and I just left it. I picked up the phone after trying to sleep a couple of hours and now the phone is back to normal. Thank goodness. I just went to the email and deleted each one slowly and individually like you said and now I have them off of there. Thanks.

Another problem I have is I changed the email login for my cpanel email account which I also have on my iPhone. Now I can't get my email on the iPhone, so I went to settings, mail, and that email account, but don't know which password I'm supposed to change or if that is even the right area to change it. What's interesting too is that before I changed the password for that email account through my desktop yesterday, for a week prior to that, I've never been able to reply on my iphone to any email that I was getting through that account which I didn't understand.

Any ideas for me on these issues? Like I said, I'm an idiot, but can be walked through steps pretty fast if someone can just do that for me. Love the phone, it's an extension of myself, but if things don't work, I'm lost as to what is wrong.

Email problems are a pain sometime. On my personal experience if I have one issue like that I just delete the email account and then I put it back on. Sometimes is hard to see a little problem and we just over look at the stuff because we are just into it to much.

You might have to remove the back of the phone and disconnect the battery for a few seconds in order to reset it back to normal functions. Take it to an Apple authorized shop and have them do it so you dont run the risk of further damage. Good luck my friend

Deleting and reinstalling the email account would be an impossible task. I just need to know how to go in and update the passwords in the right places for that particular email account that I changed the password on through my personal computer so they match and I again start to get new email on the iPhone and can reply to them as well.

ajsoftail said:
Deleting and reinstalling the email account would be an impossible task. I just need to know how to go in and update the passwords in the right places for that particular email account that I changed the password on through my personal computer so they match and I again start to get new email on the iPhone and can reply to them as well.

If you need to change the password go to settings>mail/contacts & calendars>email client>account and change the password there.