What's new

Losing notes by deleting a non-working email account?

marton

Reaction score
Hi,
Several notes have disappeared from my Notes app, only a few remained from 2011. I think I know why.

In 2011 I set up a work email on my 3GS phone as the second address after my gmail account, and for some reason the Notes must have started syncing to that email address, I don't know why. I didn't pay too much attention to this...
But this email address is not working anymore (I left the workplace): when I recently tried to check my emails, it kept "Updating..." without any results. So I decided to remove it from the list of my email accounts but this also deleted the notes that were synced to the address!

But how does this makes sense? The phone hasn't been able to fetch emails from this address for the last months, so I would think that it hasn't been able to sync, right? Why delete the notes now? Was the app saving them on the phone with the hope that one day it would be able to sync, and when all hope was gone, it deleted them from the phone??

Is there a way to recover these notes? I haven't synced the Notes with iCloud, and I don't think I can set up the same (or another) email address at my old workplace.
Thanks for your advice in advance.