What's new

Phone keeps going into "Headphone Mode"

Status
Not open for further replies.

xesvuli420

Reaction score
Ok, so I never use headphones at all, and last friday I noticed my GPS wasn't using voice. After I played with it for a while I noticed it said "(headphones)" when I would adjust my ringer volume.

Once I got home I did a google search and found this is a common problem with a common solution. I tried doing all the remedies to no avail.

I cleaned it with a qtip and alcohol, I plugged headphones in over and over again, and I did soft and hard resets. Nothing would help, and no lint or anything was visible at all.

I decided to try and restore my phone completely, but I kept getting a stupid error message from itunes when it would try and validate the software (even tho it was official) but thats a completely different issue I may need help with if we decide the phone is defective and I have to send it back.

Before I could figure out what was going on, the phone mysteriously started working again.

Well now the problem is back!!! I don't know why it keeps doing this, but I can't seem to successfully get it fixed.

I did notice today that while the phone is turning on, I can see a dim orange light inside the jack. I don't know if thats normal, or not, but once the phone is on, it goes off!

Can anyone help me???

If no one can help, I will be needing some help figuring out why itunes wont let me go official 4.2.8, so I can restore the phone, and if it doesn't fix, send it back.

Hopefully we can figure it out tho...

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
You may consider cleaning your phone's hardware, specifically, your charger connection. Build up of dirt/grime in this area can confuse the phone into thinking it's connected to headphones, etc. thus, resulting in loss of external volume. I'd suggest (WITH PHONE OFF) using something like a Q-tip with some, but not all, of the cotton swab removed. Apply a VERY small amount of rubbing alcohol to swab (slightly, just barely damp, but NOT wet enough to drip). Very gently clean what you can, careful not to use any force which could bend pins, etc. Perhaps follow up with a wooden toothpick to remove buildup from smaller crevices. The key is to be gentle. Leave phone off for 10 minutes post cleaning, then power back on. Removing just a small amount of grime from this area will often work wonders. Oftentimes cleaning your batter charger connection will resolve your problem. Cheers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

And also, in addition to the more thorough cleaning process I recommended, try a different or new charger, allow it to charge completely, power off normally with charger still attached. Let it sit for 30 minutes, power back on fully, and finally, remove the charger. Try to avoid using phone when hands are sweaty. Let the charger connection area breathe as much as possible as humidity from hands can create small amounts of moisture just enough to disrupt proper functioning. Clean gently yet thoroughly, avoid moisture from hands, try different charger, reset.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

As this thread is almost three years old and the OP has probably found a solution, we will close this thread.

Status
Not open for further replies.