What's new

Phone Capability Lost

GreenDean

Reaction score
Recently upgraded to iOS 9.1, When I push on the Phone icon, I get nothing, no history, no 'keyboard', nothing. I can receive calls OK but nothing else. Not sure if related to upgrade. Any advice??

Welcome to iPhoneForums, GreenDean!

If you haven't done so, reset your iPhone. Press and hold Home and Power button until you see the Apple logo. Let go of both, your iPhone will power up on it's own. This won't remove data or change settings, it will hopefully help with your issue.

Welcome to iPhoneForums, GreenDean!

If you haven't done so, reset your iPhone. Press and hold Home and Power button until you see the Apple logo. Let go of both, your iPhone will power up on it's own. This won't remove data or change settings, it will hopefully help with your issue.
I have done this 3 times and still no phone capability.

Did you also take a look at your settings, especially Settings - Phone?

Did you also take a look at your settings, especially Settings - Phone?
Yes, I have looked at the phone settings. Not sure what I'm supposed to be looking for. I have not made any changes in any of the phone settings.

That was just to make sure everything looks as it should.

Force close the Phone app, maybe that will correct it:
Double tap the Home button to show the App Switcher, then slide the thumbnail below the Phone app icon towards the top of the screen.

Which method did you use to update your iPhone? Over the air (Settings - General - Software Update) or iTunes (computer)?

That was just to make sure everything looks as it should.

Force close the Phone app, maybe that will correct it:
Double tap the Home button to show the App Switcher, then slide the thumbnail below the Phone app icon towards the top of the screen.

Which method did you use to update your iPhone? Over the air (Settings - General - Software Update) or iTunes (computer)?
I updated as I normally do - over the air.
I tried the force-close three times, but when I go back to the normal opening screen, the phone icon is still there and still not showing any content. BTW, the Contacts are not showing any content either.

It's possible the OTA update was corrupted somehow. You might want to consider restoring the iPhone through iTunes on your computer, after backing it up. Once the restore is complete, you can set it ip from the backup you made.

It's possible the OTA update was corrupted somehow. You might want to consider restoring the iPhone through iTunes on your computer, after backing it up. Once the restore is complete, you can set it ip from the backup you made.
I performed a restore from an early Sept backup and the phone capabilities have been restored. the software version stayed at 9.1. All appears to be well at this point. Thanks for your input!

I performed a restore from an early Sept backup and the phone capabilities have been restored. the software version stayed at 9.1. All appears to be well at this point. Thanks for your input!
You're welcome.
I'm glad your iPhone now works properly. Thanks for letting us know, it may help others who read this thread.