What's new

Pesky icons that can't be deleted

Urrl

Reaction score
Been away from iOS for a few years. Now that I have the 6 Plus I need to get rid of some icons I really don't need; Stocks, Weather and health being a few of them. Holding the icon buttons on these does not reveal a small x on the corner of the icon so I cannot delete them. Can anyone help?

You cannot delete stock apps that come pre-installed on the phone. The most you can do is put them into a folder to remove them [mostly] from view. Sorry.

Marilyn

If you hold an app icon until it starts wiggling but the X doesn't appear, the app is one of the built in stock apps and can't be deleted. The best you could do would be to hide those stock apps you don't want in a folder and place it out of the way, on the last homescreen for example. Stocks, Weather, and Health are three of the included stock apps.

That's what I did a few years ago. They're in s folder out of sight out of mind [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone 6 plus using Tapatalk

I hate how Apple tries to force us to use their apps that way. I have no use for iBooks, but they made it and the Podcast app permanent on the phone. iBooks takes 42 mb of space. That's not a lot, but I'd rather have the space on my 16 gb iPhone 5. Now I have 9 Apple apps I hide away in a folder. I don't even use the Contacts app. I access those through the phone app. I suppose I should be grateful the iPhone has no carrier bloatware. But it is what it is.

Sent from my ancient but trustworthy iPhone 5.

I'm wondering if and when a jailbreak comes can we get rid of these icons.

I'm wondering if and when a jailbreak comes can we get rid of these icons.
There are a plethora of tweaks to do so. Until substrate is fixed, devs can't test, but it should be up and going relatively soon

Sent from my HTC One M8 using Tapatalk

how do you make a folder? and get the icons in it?

Press and hold an icon you want to move; all the icons will start moving ("jiggling").

While holding the icon, move it on top of another icon that you want to be in the folder. They should kind of dissolve together and then a folder should pop up.

The iPhone will automatically name the folder based on the category of the apps you've picked, but you can rename it what you wish. To do, tap the name field (at the top of the folder) and type in what you wish.

Repeat this process until all the apps you want to put into folders are, well, in the folders. Then, tap the Home button once to stop the icons from jiggling.

And that's it, you have folders. Hope this helps.

Marilyn

Press and hold an icon you want to move; all the icons will start moving ("jiggling").

While holding the icon, move it on top of another icon that you want to be in the folder. They should kind of dissolve together and then a folder should pop up.

The iPhone will automatically name the folder based on the category of the apps you've picked, but you can rename it what you wish. To do, tap the name field (at the top of the folder) and type in what you wish.

Repeat this process until all the apps you want to put into folders are, well, in the folders. Then, tap the Home button once to stop the icons from jiggling.

And that's it, you have folders. Hope this helps.

Marilyn
yes that helped ,i was able to get 5 icons in 1 folder ,is that the limit?

how can i bring icons from the other pages over? or cant you?

never mind found out how . is 9 icons per folder the limit?

Recently saw a YouTube video where you can put folder into another folder, just have to be quick, tried to repeat all the steps for few hours wasn't able to do it. Has anyone tried it yet?

Just for curiosity i tried it, I wasn't able to do it.