What's new

Permission error when trying to delete images on iPhone from within Windows

jmt356

Reaction score
I have many photos on my iPhone that I want to select and delete all at once.

When I plug in my iPhone and explore the photos in File Explorer on Windows, I can select them and then press Delete, but File Explorer displays this message, "You do not have permission to delete this item."

I don't know what File Explorer is (Google says Android app?).

Anyways, I plug my iPhone into my work computer all the time. I do a lot of R&D and programming, and when that program makes a new product, I have to take a picture of it. I plug my phone into my computer and transfer over all the time (not using iTunes) and then delete them from iPhone using computer once copied over.

I'm guessing File Explorer doesn't ask for permission first to browse those pictures?

If you plug into a PC that doesn't have iTunes, you'll get a message on phone that asks for permission. You have to unlock phone and give permission. Then go to computer>Whatever the name of your phone is> Internal storage > then pic any folder from there (higher numbered folders are newer photos). Click on any photo and you can view in windows photo viewer. You can click left or right and go through all the photo's in that folder. Close picture, but folder still open, you can delete any picture, or all of them, etc.

If you have iTunes on that computer, just close iTunes before beginning.

File Explorer is the same as Windows Explorer. It is the program that Windows uses to explorer, organize, open and delete files.

When I plug in my iPhone, File Explorer opens up and displays the files I have on my iPhone. When I try to delete them, I get a permission error. This occurs even when iTunes is not open.