What's new

Pegatron could be in charge of the cheaper iPhone production

RaduTyrsina

News Team
Reaction score
appleworkers610x365-610x365.jpg

​
Most of us can barely wait to see the low cost iPhone out on the market. Some are attracted to it because of its price, but mostly because we are so very curious to see what Apple manages to pull off using cheaper and lower quality materials.

And the tech giant seems to want to start a whole new chapter, when the iPhone is concerned. A new report coming this week via The New York Times reveals that Apple is not going to work with long time partner, Foxconn for the assembly of the low cost iPhone. Cupertino has opted to work instead​​ with the new comer to the Apple garden – Pegatron.

Some months after the iPhone 5 was released, Foxconn CEO Terry Gou, explained in an interview that “it’s not easy to make the iPhone. We are falling short of meeting the huge demand”.

So, we wonder – is this what’s going on here? Is Foxconn in over their head?

Pegatron, on the other hand, has already announced last month that it is going to hire 40% more Chinese workers in the near future, in order to make sure things go smoothly and they don’t encounter the same problems Foxconn did. However, its executive, Charles Lin, remained silent when asked bluntly whether or not the company was making all these preparations because it was assigned the task of producing the cheaper iPhone. But now, all this has been cleared up.

When are we going to see the cheaper iPhone? Analysts Gene Munster believes that Apple is going for a September launch date. But we have to get through the summer first!

Source: WSJ

I sure hope that "cheaper" doesn't mean lower quality. I've come to love the quality of Apple devices, I mean everything just works. There's much to be said for having things work out-of-the-box.

Sent from my iOS device using Tapatalk.

I sure hope that "cheaper" doesn't mean lower quality. I've come to love the quality of Apple devices, I mean everything just works. There's much to be said for having things work out-of-the-box.

I'm positive the OS will be the same, it's just cheaper building materials would be used. Such as plastic vs aluminum and glass. I could see this benefitting a lot of folks if done right. :)

I'm positive the OS will be the same, it's just cheaper building materials would be used. Such as plastic vs aluminum and glass. I could see this benefitting a lot of folks if done right. :)

Emphasis on the "if done right", and I have a feeling that Apple wouldn't settle for anything less. Yeah, I'm not too worried.. given that Apple has a reputation to maintain.