What's new

"Other" piled up to 5.9GB over just a couple weeks, don't know why/how.

markusaurileus

Reaction score
Hi, I need help figuring out why and how my "Other" storage increased quickly over the past couple weeks.
Can anyone recommend me a way to manually look through my iPhone directory so I can figure out what's taking up so much space?

All I've really been doing is taking pictures and videos, but I cut/copy them afterward from Windows Explorer.
I remember having about 5.3GB of Free space a couple weeks back, but now I only have 1.73GB and Other has increased significantly. I don't think it's my photos/vids though because I checked the folder and its only about 700MB. Idk : /

This is application and iTunes data that builds up in the device that does not have a designated space for storage.

How many applications do you have on your device?

I counted no more than 50 3rd-party apps, but I've had that amount and even more since day one months ago. This increase in "Other" storage has just happened in the last couple weeks.

Btw, I have the 16GB iPhone 4 (13.74GB)

Last edited:
Yes I know...that is how it alway is.

There is no easy way to clear other. There are ways....but they rarely work.

That is a lot of "Other" tho.

I would plug into iTunes and right click on your device name..and click "Reset Warnings".

Unplug...hard reboot..plug in again, click the sync button.

That may clear some of it...but *i don't know for sure*.

All that does is make iTunes recalculate the used space on your device.

I would also got to Settings> General> Usage....

Look through all your applications and see which ones have the most stored data.

Also....restoring from iTunes/iCloud backups is the main cause of the high "Other" usage.

Ok, I tried out what you told me. It's still like that, but no worries. And I checked Usage in Settings, and it gave me a good idea of how much space each app was taking. Thanks for that didn't know.

I added up the data that the apps are using (not including the app itself), and I got 1.07GB total. That means there's 4.6GB of Others stored. I'm used to seeing only ~2.5GB max of others...

I really think there's some files in my iphone that were deleted (or pictures that were moved off the phone) but some copies still remained after the move but doesn't show. I just don't know how to check this.

markusaurileus said:
Ok, I tried out what you told me. It's still like that, but no worries. And I checked Usage in Settings, and it gave me a good idea of how much space each app was taking. Thanks for that didn't know.

I added up the data that the apps are using (not including the app itself), and I got 1.07GB total. That means there's 4.6GB of Others stored. I'm used to seeing only ~2.5GB max of others...

I really think there's some files in my iphone that were deleted (or pictures that were moved off the phone) but some copies still remained after the move but doesn't show. I just don't know how to check this.

As I have said...the only way to clear it out without messing up your phone is to restore and setup as new device.

Sorry to resurrect this thread, but I supposed I will just set it up as a new device in the near future. Just didn't want to do that because I had a rough exp trying to restore my jailbroken iphone in the past lol. I'll read more about how to do it right. Thanks.