What's new

Odd Behavior: Camera Activates!

NoBite

Reaction score
When I carry my iPhone in my back pocket, I carry it with the screen facing my body. Likewise, when I carry it in a chest shirt pocket the screen faces my body. Recently, I’ve noticed that when I withdraw my phone I find the camera has been activated! On one occasion I found that several pictures had actually been taken while the phone was in my pocket!

Has anyone else had this happen? Solution?

This happens with our Android (Samsung Galaxy S10e) a lot. Would also appreciate help!

When I carry my iPhone in my back pocket, I carry it with the screen facing my body. Likewise, when I carry it in a chest shirt pocket the screen faces my body. Recently, I’ve noticed that when I withdraw my phone I find the camera has been activated! On one occasion I found that several pictures had actually been taken while the phone was in my pocket!

Has anyone else had this happen? Solution?
The camera can be activated from the lock screen without using your password. It’s possible that when pulling your iPhone out of the pocket you’re accidentally touching the spot on the screen that activates the camera.
1816BC26-33C1-4406-881B-ED3868B1C071.jpeg

Yeah, I wondered about that. I have always carried it with the screen facing my body thinking that method offers the most screen protection. Perhaps I should rotate the phone and see if that makes a difference. I always assumed that the phone detected being swiped somehow, as that also activates the camera. I carry the phone in a shirt pocket while trail riding (horse riding). I use a GPS app and am conscious of battery life! Once I found that not only had the camera somehow been activated, it had been open for quite some time and over a dozen pictures had been taken. Really reduced battery life. So, I’m looking for a foolproof fix!

If you’ve been carrying it with the charging port at the top try it with the charging port at the bottom. You could also grip the phone by the edges when putting it in and removing it from the pocket.

I’ve changed to carrying the iPhone upside down, with the charging port upwards, because it started to light up the screen whenever it was “the right way round”, with the notch upwards, even when it was in my bag.

Last edited:
J. A., there is an app to prevent accidentally turning on Android phones. There may be one for Apple too.

Apple won’t allow that to an app.
Disabling Raise to Wake in Settings would prevent the iPhone from waking up. I prefer using it, though.

I’ve changed to carrying the iPhone upside down, with the charging port upwards, because it started to light up the screen whenever it was “the right way round”, with the notch upwards, even when it was in my bag.

Yes! That is how I carry mine, with the charging port upwards. I use a small apparatus that fits between the back of phone and the case and extends a tiny o-ring on a tab through the case right below the charging port. It allows me to attach a lanyard which I wear around my neck. In this manner I have security when using my phone riding my horse, especially when taking pictures while crossing streams and such. But, this does require that the phone slide into my shirt pocket port up. So, port up hasn’t solved my problem. The phone does get jostled side to side. That and body heat might combine to simulate a swipe, I guess. I don’t recall this issue when wearing a coat and using a coat pocket, but that would make an interesting test. Getting too warm for that test now, though!

Dry cloth rubbing on the screen can’t activate anything but if the pocket lining became damp with sweat the touchscreen could indeed be activated and cause the camera to become activated.

Dry cloth rubbing on the screen can’t activate anything but if the pocket lining became damp with sweat the touchscreen could indeed be activated and cause the camera to become activated.

Interesting! Ok, something to work with. Maybe I can devise some sort of sheath or old fashioned pocket protector! (You don’t have to admit knowing what a pocket protector is!)

Apple won’t allow that to an app.
Disabling Raise to Wake in Settings would prevent the iPhone from waking up. I prefer using it, though.

This is not what I mean.

I am referring to accidental touch that normally turns on the phone. The Android app is called Pocket Lock.

Another Android app that should help is Touch Protector. This can be customized.

Another Android app that should help is Touch Protector. This can be customized.
Android apps cant help on an iPhone. Apple is more restrictive on how much access third party apps have to operations outside the app itself.