What's new

No computer sees my iphone 4s

dfran1

Reaction score
Hi
I have a iphone 4s Verizon jailbroken and since 2 days ago it will not be recognized by my 2 computers (other iphones work)

In DFU and normal recovery, my computer sees the iphone.

1. Is there any help on this (hopeful easy fix, cydia app?)

2. Should I just use iCloud instead

3. is there any way to activate itunes wifi sync now that my iphone will not connect to my computer.

Please advise
Thank you

Hav you tried rebooting your computer.

I mean....Try to do everything you possibly can before restoring and losing your jailbreak.

Konlao said:
You may need to reinstall the itunes.

I highly highly doubt that would do anything. He said his computers cannot recognize it...not iTunes.

I would place the device in DFU mode...let it sit there for 5 minutes or so..and see if the driver starts installing (they actually should start as soon as any iDevice is plugged in for the first time).

If not..I would download and install the drivers manually. When an iPhone is connected to a computer drivers are automatically installed...and drivers are also automatically installed again when its in DFU mode for the first time

Thank you for the replies so far but?

DFU mode and iphone recovery mode both work

when phone is either safe mode or normal recovery mode it will not tell any computer it is connected (and will not charge from computers, I use a mophie battery case so this is not an issue for me) but the phone shows connected right away in dfu and recovery.

So I am at this

1 I do not want to loose jailbreak at all
2. How can I turn on wifi sync without connecting phone
3. Is there any program out there that will use wifi do do stuff like ssh into your phone
4. Is it safe to turn on iCloud sync

wiping phone and losing jailbreak is not an option cause everything else is working great and I would go to a droid if I can not have a jailbroken iphone, I really hate to say it but JB iphone and non is like airconditioning and no air, hands down.

So please any help please this is a 4s so 5.1 is out of the question

Last edited:
Why do you need to sync with iTunes any way? I sync with iTunes once after every restore......And that's it. And before I restore I plug in my phone to iTunes and transfer purchases. Between thos 2 points of time my phone does not connect to my computer with iTunes open at all............Ever.

But any way........You say that no computer recognizes it.regardless if iTunes is open or not?

Try this:

Settings> General> Reset> "Reset All Settings"

It is very important that you tap the top "Reset All Settings" button only. If you tap "Erase All Content and Settings" then your phone will go into a boot loop, and you will be forced to restore to 5.1.

But tapping "Rest All Settings" does nothing but reset all your preferences to default settings. You will have to reconfigure everything.

"Reset All Settings" (Totally safe to do)
"Erase All Content and Settings" (Totally NOT safe to do)

but before you do that............What exactly do you have installed from Cydia?

Last edited:
Thank you for the replies so far but?

DFU mode and iphone recovery mode both work

when phone is either safe mode or normal recovery mode it will not tell any computer it is connected (and will not charge from computers, I use a mophie battery case so this is not an issue for me) but the phone shows connected right away in dfu and recovery.

So I am at this

1 I do not want to loose jailbreak at all
2. How can I turn on wifi sync without connecting phone
3. Is there any program out there that will use wifi do do stuff like ssh into your phone
4. Is it safe to turn on iCloud sync

wipping phone and losing jailbreak is not an option cause everything else is working great and I would go to a droid if I can not have a jailbroken iphone, I really hate to say it but JB iphone and non is like airconditioning and no air, hands down.

So please any help please this is a 4s so 5.1 is out of the question

i am pretty sure it is safe to use iCloud sync, but not positive. i wouldn't be worried about that tho. i would try to sync it with iCloud if i were you. you tried everything else right? i would do that next.

And once you reset all settings you should be able to enable "Backup to iCloud". When that is enabled, you will be able to sync over WiFi.

But would avoid that setting, see if your computer recognizes it. If it does, then there is no need to sync to iCloud. ( I mean unless you want to. But i thought you only wanted to do that because you cant get your computers to recognize your device.lol)

Last edited:
I have lots if cydia stuff installed

1 is there something to restore, from cydia , a backup program? I have backboard?
2 if it did not work then I would want to restore to this point , I have done lots of changes and it would take lots of time to redu
3. Would I loose cydia apps and will it reset them?
Thanks in advance

dfran1 said:
I have lots if cydia stuff installed

1 is there something to restore, from cydia , a backup program? I have backboard?
2 if it did not work then I would want to restore to this point , I have done lots of changes and it would take lots of time to redu
3. Would I loose cydia apps and will it reset them?
Thanks in advance

I thought you could not restore because you re on a 4S?

And if you did restore, ten do not restore from a backup.

And first of all, you do not need BackBoard. It's not even iOS 5 compatible.

Second...you can use xBackup or PKGBackup to restore all Cydia packages at once, without restoring from a backup.

Seems to me you just install things without checking Compatibility.

Do you have Springtimize 2 installed? Or SBSettings.

I have both springtomize and backboard installed

Maybe backboard is not supported or ? On iOS 5 but I can tell you it works quit well and has helped a lot when I mess up a theme by trying to tweak it to my liking. But thanks for that info.

dfran1 said:
I have both springtomize and backboard installed

Maybe backboard is not supported or ? On iOS 5 but I can tell you it works quit well and has helped a lot when I mess up a theme by trying to tweak it to my liking. But thanks for that info.

Yeah....it functions fine, but has many conflicts, and a memory leak.

I would remove it. (tho..that is up to you...if its not conflicting with anything, then that's great)

A heavy themer are ya? Be careful...themes can really bog down a device. Tho the new iOS 5 ones seem pretty solid...of the 3 u tried. I'm not much a a themer tho...I change small stuff...not the whole UI.

But open Sprinftomize 2.

On the very bottom, tap "More"

Then tap "Mobile Substrate Addons".

Disable one by one.....seeing if the problem persist after disabling each one.

I want unlock my iphone 4 04.11.08 if u no how to do let me no plz

lalunyc said:
I want unlock my iphone 4 04.11.08 if u no how to do let me no plz

You cannot unlock that basenand at this time...sorry:(

Tho I think there is a SIM card you can buy that will unlock it. R-SIM I think.

Don't quote me on that.

Unlocking is the one area I have absolutely no experience in. Sorry. I have a CDMA iPhone.lol.

Last edited:
But when your in safe mode does that not do the same??

Cause even safe mode does not work for me, then again does safe mode allow iTunes sync?