What's new

Newbie needs advice please!!!

Chrisg5110

Reaction score
Hi all,

UK newbie here
Just received my first iphone, (iphone 3GS) of the internet, prime condition, but need advice please.

It is locked to o2 network but want it to be unlocked so i can use my Virgin Sim (Great sim only deal, shame to not use it)
Also want to upgrade to OS5 (Currently I believe its 4.3.5) Is that right? lol

So I took it to a local independent dealer who said he could unlock it, two ways...

Option 1 - £20 Can unlock but if I upgrade OS, the phone will revert to old OS, therefore unable to upgrade to OS5

Option 2 - £60 Costly he said as he needs the code direct from Apple, (or something like that!!!) but this way meant I could upgrade to OS5 without phone locking back to o2.

He also said it would take till Friday to do. (Took it in this morning, Monday)

Like I said, completely new and not into these things

Could anyone offer any advice?

Any would be appreciated.

Regards
Chris

G'day & Welcome to the forum!!! :)

I am not as aware of the "unlock" side of things technically but if it's legit that he can do the unlock and allow for ios5 I'd go that option personally.

Hi all,

UK newbie here
Just received my first iphone, (iphone 3GS) of the internet, prime condition, but need advice please.

It is locked to o2 network but want it to be unlocked so i can use my Virgin Sim (Great sim only deal, shame to not use it)
Also want to upgrade to OS5 (Currently I believe its 4.3.5) Is that right? lol

So I took it to a local independent dealer who said he could unlock it, two ways...

Option 1 - £20 Can unlock but if I upgrade OS, the phone will revert to old OS, therefore unable to upgrade to OS5

Option 2 - £60 Costly he said as he needs the code direct from Apple, (or something like that!!!) but this way meant I could upgrade to OS5 without phone locking back to o2.

He also said it would take till Friday to do. (Took it in this morning, Monday)

Like I said, completely new and not into these things

Could anyone offer any advice?

Any would be appreciated.

Regards
Chris

Most likely your baseband is on one that works with ultrasn0w (free tool) so this is used to unlock the device but will re lock if you upgrade firmwares with out preserving the baseband, the second method what he does is take the code and give it to o2 to unlock officially and they will do it, he probably does it free but it will be officially unlocked and free to upgrade firmwares as much as you want