What's new

Introduction

Sue Kroning

Reaction score
Hi,

Although I'm experienced with the iPad mini (which I adore) I'm new to the iPhone.

My son, who lives in England, gave me his iPhone 5S when he upgraded to a 6. He took the SIM card out. When I went to AT&T here in the US they said the phone was locked.

My son is arranging for his provider Vodaphone to unlock it which I understand is a numerical code.

The problem is the phone will turn on but then it just scrolls through Hello in lots of languages and the voice option is locked on and won't turn off. That is all it will do. There is no way I will be able to enter any numbers.

Any advice?

Sue.

No, not yet. Guess I have to wait for whatever Vodaphone has to do.

Maybe they'll inform your son what you'll have to do as soon as it's unlocked. At the moment, there's nothing else you can do but wait, I think.

If you do have to enter a numerical code into the phone to unlock it, you're going to need a Vodaphone SIM card in the phone in order to activate the phone so you can enter the code. Your son would have to send you a Vodaphone SIM card, although it doesn't have to be an active SIM card. If the unlocking can be done remotely, then there wil be no need for the Vodaphone SIM card.

Welcome aboard and hopefully you will be using your "new to you" iPhone in no time :)...

If you do have to enter a numerical code into the phone to unlock it, you're going to need a Vodaphone SIM card in the phone in order to activate the phone so you can enter the code. Your son would have to send you a Vodaphone SIM card, although it doesn't have to be an active SIM card. If the unlocking can be done remotely, then there wil be no need for the Vodaphone SIM card.

I think I was panicking for nothing! After Vodaphone unlocked the phone (request form was on their web site and it cost 20 British pounds) they sent an email telling me to put in a SIM card from my new carrier (Consumer Cellular, great rates and no contract) and then restore the software by connecting the iPhone to my laptop and running iTunes. Worked great.

Thanks for everyone's help. The Youtube examples, including Vodaphones clips, all showed functional phones (which mine wasn't - would only scroll through its languages) inputting unlocking codes so I was worried that I wouldn't be able to do that. Love love love my new iPhone!

It's always good to hear about the success stories. Thanks for letting us know.