What's new

New iPhone user - so confused!

GazNicki

Reaction score
Hi all,

I am a new iPhone user and I am so confused at the moment. I have googled and searched and can't find the answer to my questions.

I have joined here in the hope of getting some information and learning what I need to learn.

OK, so here goes ....

I have bought my wife a second hand iPhone 4 16gb locked to 3 in the UK. Likewise, my wife has bought me a second hand iPhone 4s 16gb locked to Vodaphone in the UK. We want to remove the simlocks in order to allow the use of another carrier (O2 in the UK).

I believe that the only way to do this, other than expensive IMEI unlocking, is to Jailbreak the phone - which offers a number of other benefits too.

Both phones have been updated to iOS6 before we bought them. Where do we go from here, are we able to jailbreak the phones and remove the simlock? Is there another way of removing the simlock I am missing? Or are we limited only to IMEI unlocking for now?

Any advice and guidance would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Gaz

Hi all,

I am a new iPhone user and I am so confused at the moment. I have googled and searched and can't find the answer to my questions.

I have joined here in the hope of getting some information and learning what I need to learn.

OK, so here goes ....

I have bought my wife a second hand iPhone 4 16gb locked to 3 in the UK. Likewise, my wife has bought me a second hand iPhone 4s 16gb locked to Vodaphone in the UK. We want to remove the simlocks in order to allow the use of another carrier (O2 in the UK).

I believe that the only way to do this, other than expensive IMEI unlocking, is to Jailbreak the phone - which offers a number of other benefits too.

Both phones have been updated to iOS6 before we bought them. Where do we go from here, are we able to jailbreak the phones and remove the simlock? Is there another way of removing the simlock I am missing? Or are we limited only to IMEI unlocking for now?

Any advice and guidance would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Gaz
Hi, welcome to the forum! Here are a few helpful links. cv| iPhone tips | iPhone Tips & Tricks | What is jailbreaking? | | iPhone Unlocking Guide for BeginnersiPhoneForums.net Mobile App

Thinking of Jailbreaking but are not sure

poisonivy……iPF STAFF.
iPhoneForums.net Forum Rules - Please Read and Respect our Rules

Thank you for the links.

After reading, I think I have this correct:

It doesn't matter if the phones are on iOS6 or iOS5 - provided the Baseband is unlockable. If the baseband is unlockable, it is either ultrasnow or a geavy sim for the iPhone 4 and a Geavy Sim for the 4S. Each of which is a paid for service.

If that is the case, then paying the current network providers may prove to be more cost effective. :(

Well the IMEI unlock would be a much better option since you just unlock it once, and it's there forever, no matter what you do to it in terms of software upgrading/downgrading, etc. The Gevey is limited to certain device and iOS unless they update the software component to it, which does take a bit of time to do so. Yes both are paid services but the IMEI unlock does have a larger market, just that you have to buy it off of eBay for a few euros in your case. One is a legitimate and guaranteed "done in front of you" kind of unlock, the other is a bit of a self-service and "at your own risk" type.

Well the IMEI unlock would be a much better option since you just unlock it once, and it's there forever, no matter what you do to it in terms of software upgrading/downgrading, etc. The Gevey is limited to certain device and iOS unless they update the software component to it, which does take a bit of time to do so. Yes both are paid services but the IMEI unlock does have a larger market, just that you have to buy it off of eBay for a few euros in your case. One is a legitimate and guaranteed "done in front of you" kind of unlock, the other is a bit of a self-service and "at your own risk" type.
When you say one is on eBay is that referring to the IMEI unlock or the Gevey?

Also I checked the baseband of the 4 and it isn't on the list so assuming this definately can't be jail broken.

Last edited:
IMEI unlock. I wouldn't suggest, nor would any mods/admin on this forum, buying a Gevey outside out a trusted distributor such as ApplenBerry. IMEIs are the same one for one from eBay and your wireless provider, just that you might question how the distributor on eBay has gotten them, but if you find a seller with a huge positive feedback, then the seller probably runs a mobile phone shop and has access to it one way or another. There are a LOT of knockoffs on eBay for the Gevey like the Gevey Plus or the GoldSIMs, etc etc.

Chances are the IMEI unlock is going to be your only solution. The Gevey Ultra only works w/ iPhone 4 Basebands up to 4.10.01. iOS 6.0 carries the 4.12.02 Baseband, which is not Unlockable via Gevey.

Thanks for the advice guys.

Upon looking on eBay, the unlock for Vodaphone in the UK is between £35 and £45 and there is no unlock on eBay for 3 in the UK. However, the cost to unlock via the Service Providers themselves if £19.99 for Vodaphone and £15.32 for 3. So that's the way I will go :)

Cheers!

That's about as much as what it's costing where I am. It's $60 or so for the service where I live, so that's about 45 euros.