What's new

New Iphone 5. Touch Screen does not always respond? Help.

musiclover77

Reaction score
Hi all,

Yesterday I became the owner of an Iphone 5. This is my first Iphone, though I have tinkered with many of my friend's throughout the years. My expectations are not being currently met and here is why.

It seems like in some apps - Primarily Facebook, app store, and typing - the Touch screen is very unresponsive, though usually around specific buttons within the app. Let me elaborate...

In the app store, everything seems to work fine, right up to the point where I am ready to install an app. I press the free button sometimes like 20 times, before it turns into the install app button, and then, I press that button and more often than not it turns back into the free button. This makes it very hard to install apps and can be very frustrating.

In the facebook app, I can see that I have some notifications, but 9 times out of 10 (literally) when I press on that part of the screen to see them, nothing happens. Then, somehow, on the tenth press, it registers and actually works. Again, really frustrating.

Whenever I am tying anything with this phone, editing the text that I am typing is a real PITA. Lets say I mis-type a word and I just want to put the courser somewhere in the middle of the word, rather than just at the end. This is almost impossible unless I manage to press the screen just right, so what I find myself doing more often than not, is just deleting a whole word when I made a single error. This makes text typing very difficult. On my Wife's Galaxy S3, this is easy. Any time the curser is on the screen, there is a grabber at the bottom of it, that allows one to slide it back and forth around the text to where you want it. This is very convenient and lacking in Iphone in my opinion, unless I am missing something, which is why I am posting here.

Anyways, that kind of sums it up so far. I was really expecting an amazing experience, or at least a better experience than what I am used to on my Wife'x Galaxy, but so far, this is not the case.

One last thing maybe someone can answer with Web browsing. On my Wife's Galaxy, if I tap text on a web page, the browser zooms on that text, and the text itself re-formats to a readable size. On the iphone, it does zoom when I do this, but the text does not reformat at all. So basically, it will only zoom a little most times, and the text is still really small. Hypothetical example.

On Iphone text when zoomed will look like this:

The swift brown cat jumped over the cherry tree.

On Galaxy, it will reformat and add carriage returns like this to make the text bigger and more readable:

Ths swift brown cat jumped
over the cherry tree.

I am hoping there is a way to make the latter true on the iphone. Any and all advice appreciated!

Last edited:
Your experience with the touch screen is not typical. You could have a faulty screen. Since your iPhone 5 is still under warranty, you should, if possible, make a Genius appointment at an Apple Store to have it checked out. If there is indeed a warranty issue, Apple will exchange your phone on the spot. Before going to the Apple Store, make a full backup of your iPhone. This way, if your phone is replaced, you can set up the replacement from your backup. Warranty service can also be arranged through the mail for those who can't visit the Apple Store in person.

Everything else seems to be working fine. It is just in those apps that I seem to be experiencing the problem. You really think this is a hardware issue?

Everything else seems to be working fine. It is just in those apps that I seem to be experiencing the problem. You really think this is a hardware issue?

Probably not, if the problem only manifests itself when using certain apps. Do you have a good Internet connection? A weak connection can cause problems with iTunes, when trying to download music. Some apps may be more sensitive to the strength of the connection than others. Have you tried resetting the router?

Probably not, if the problem only manifests itself when using certain apps. Do you have a good Internet connection? A weak connection can cause problems with iTunes, when trying to download music. Some apps may be more sensitive to the strength of the connection than others. Have you tried resetting the router?

I have a great internet connection. Is really weird.. Thanks for the replies