What's new

New computer, it doesn't recognize my iPhone 4

Tricon7

Reaction score
I have this new computer and I'm having to re-install all my software. When I click "Add files to library", I don't see my plugged-in iPhone in the list of drives, though I hear Windows 7 *bong* when I plug it in. I don't think this has happened before. Is there some setting I need to adjust or something? I can't transfer anything off my iphone if my computer won't even recognize it. I installed Flash and Java, but neither seem to have anything to do with this problem. Incidentally, I plugged in my external hard drive, and it got recognized fine.

If you're hearing just bong instead of bong bing, then it's most likely a driver/co-requisite issue for iTunes.

Double check that the drivers are all there and up to date. Particularly the USB port/hub drivers

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 

Double check that the drivers are all there and up to date. Particularly the USB port/hub drivers

I misread your post - yes, I do get the double *bong* sound letting me know that the computer has acknowledged that I just plugged in a USB device. But I should at least see another drive letter show up in Windows Explorer even if iTunes doesn't recognize that it's plugged in, but I don't get either.

You should see a camera in my computer, not exactly a drive letter

Nothing appears - at least in Windows Explorer. I go to "add to library" in iTunes, and it doesn't see my iPhone, though it's plugged in.

Uninstall iTunes and remove any of the local files that's left over. Reinstall and see if it still happens

Try to update your phone or reset your phone. Some times it may be get connect.

I uninstalled iTunes and reinstalled it. I got this error:

The registry settings used by the iTunes drivers for importing and burning CDs and DVDs are missing. This can happen as a result of installing other CD burning software. Please reinstall iTunes.

I've been researching this issue for two days online. I've uninstalled/installed iTunes four times, and also installed the Gears software that I read was supposed to add drivers or whatever to fix this. That was a bust. I also can't get my computer to recognize my iPhone anymore - it doesn't show up in Windows Explorer or iTunes as a device that's been plugged in.

I also went into the registry to add a file suggested at the following link - with zero success.
http://blog.callageek.com.au/2012/03/itunes-registry-settings-warning-when-opening/

If I had known Apple's products were so hard to make function, I would have gone with an Android or Galaxy.

Last edited: