What's new

Need help with iPhone 4 jailbreak SNAFU... Stuck on error codes 10 / 2005

James.P

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

This is my first post here and I really wish I had contributed to this community before asking you guys for help... I've spent the last 4-5 hours searching/reading on these (and other) forums for solutions and while I've found a few threads that contained hints, I feel my problem(s?) is major and varied enough to warrant a new thread. I'll preface this by saying I'm really not that proficient with Apple products but I'm not a computer noob and am a quick learner... I just never thought this process would be so complicated!
Here's the situation:
My girlfriend was gifted an iPhone 4 this weekend from someone who had upgraded to a 4S. That person had only had the phone for a short while and I have no idea where it came from before. I'm trying to jailbreak/unlock it because it's not originally from the same carrier as the sim card that's going in it (it's a Telus phone and the sim card is from Rogers, if that helps).
I have found through some searching around that the best way to jailbreak would be an Untethered solution, and further found that Redsn0w was the recommended tool for that. This is the guide I was planning on using:
How To Perform Untethered Jailbreak On Your iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS Running iOS 5.0.1 Using Redsn0wFirst thing I did was check the phone's software version, which turned out to be 4.3.1 (from memory, that's no longer accessible but it was 4.3.x for sure). I figured since the guide I'm looking at wants 5.0.1 to be on there, I had to upgrade iOS. iTunes wanted to upgrade it to 5.1 so I didn't do this. I found from a sticky post on this forum a link to download the IPSW for 5.0.1 and tried manually restoring the phone (shift+restore in iTunes), that gave me an error code 3194.

While searching for a way around this I found hints that the iphone might have already been jailbroken. I looked for Cydia in spotlight and indeed, it was installed and working so it appears it was JB already. However, I couldn't find a way to format/erase the phone (essentially to put it back to 'factory' settings, wiping everything from the previous user - I'm a bit OCD on these things and I really wanted a 'clean' install). The Erase all data/settings option didn't work, it would just hang there for hours not doing anything. Also, I'd rather the phone be jailbroken on 5.0.1 than on 4.3.x, right?
So, based on some other forum post, I did a standard restore in iTunes (to 5.1), thinking I could manually rollback to 5.0.1 afterwards. I think that was my first major mistake.

Right after the restore, which appeared to work just fine, the phone told me there was no sim card so I couldn't continue. Of course the sim card I have is from the wrong carrier so that's no help. iTunes doesn't want to manage it either, offering the same error message about no sim card. So my brilliant plan of using iTunes to manually restore the 5.0.1 software fell through.

I then found this guide:
How To Jailbreak iPhone 4, iPhone 3GS Without Updating Baseband Using Redsn0w For iOS 5.0.1 [Mac/Windows]which seemed to be offering a solution - bypassing the sim lock by loading a custom IPSW made with Redsn0w, by putting the phone in Pwned DFU mode. I followed the steps up to the point of restoring the custom IPSW in iTunes but again got the Error 3194. Further searching around made me discover Tinyumbrella and the hosts file, so after I figured out how that worked (editing the hosts file to point to Cydia servers while TU runs its TSS server) I managed to bypass the error code (3194). Should be in the clear by now right? Oh no. Next error code was 2005, which after some research seems to be hardware related, specifically USB related. I tried multiple USB ports on my computer - the front panel ones, the rear ones straight into the motherboard, even a port from my keyboard (essentially a usb hub). I have 14 usb ports and tried at least 8 of them. Also tried 2 cables, 1 authentic Apple cable and one cheap chinese ebay cable. Nothing worked.
Then I found a solution which said to uninstall iTunes and all afferent applications (Apple mobile support, Apple software update, Bonjour, others...) which I did using CC Cleaner. I then installed iTunes 10.4 which apparently was supposed to fix that issue... and it did. Replacing error 2005 with error 10! Some more searching and reading and the only solution I found to cure Error 10 was to update iTunes to the latest version. Against hope I did, and there I am again with error 2005 back.

Error 3194 prevents the restore from even starting as the IPSW file is unable to get signed by Apple and blocks further progress (or something to that effect I imagine) so whenever that happened, the phone would just reboot and get back to 'please insert sim card'. After that though, from error 2005 on, it got stuck in recovery mode after each failure. I've tried everything I could think of to get it out of recovery, to no avail.
Redsn0w Recovery Fix tool (from the Extras section): says the build is not recognized.
Tinyumbrella Fix Recovery 4.3: it appears to work and cover the iphone's screen in white-on-black writing but it seems to hang at the end. I can get it out of that by forcing a reboot but then it just gets back in recovery mode. I imagine that's because this Tinyumbrella tool is for version 4.3 but I couldn't find a newer one.
The only way I found to get it out of recover mode is by putting it in DFU mode, which is hardly better. Well it's better because I can restore through iTunes but that's about it.

Sooo... I've finally hit a wall. What are my options from here? Should I got back on iTunes 10.4 and try to deal with Error 10 or stay on iTunes 10.6 and handle Error 2005? Is what I'm trying to do even possible? That is, a manual rollback to 5.0*.1 followed by a Redsn0w Untethered jailbreak?

I'm sorry for the wall of text, I felt I had better give as much detail about my progression and what steps I had taken. I know the basic rule of forum posting is Search Search Search but believe me, I've searched. Note that before today I knew next to nothing about iPhones... Also, I'm on Windows 7 x64, current iTunes version is 10.6.0.40.

Any help you guys can provide would be hugely appreciated. Any hints, pointers, anything... though for sure I'd much prefer a 'hold-my-hand' type of solution! =)

Thanks for reading if you've made it this far.

Apple has made it so that once you upgrade to 5.1 you can't go back, you'll be waiting for the next jailbreak with me.

Apple has made it so that once you upgrade to 5.1 you can't go back, you'll be waiting for the next jailbreak with me.

This is not true. (except for A5 devices....which OP stated he does not have)

Hey OP, you MIGHT be able to restore back to 5.0.1.

First of all. It "MIGHT" be a USB problem...not "is". And it's probably not a USB problem at all, as that would have been the only error you would have got. It wouldn't even be able to give you a 3194 error if the USB port was the problem.

But you still might be able to go to 5.0.1 without updating. (usually, when a device is jailbroken, all signed SHSH are saved automatically by Cydia). Actually scratch that. "always" when a device is jailbroken Cydia will save SHSH blobs.

But the only way to know for sure is to download Tiny Umbrella open it, plug in the Phone, and click "Save SHSH" button

Whatever iOS shows up in the list is what you can restore to.

Also, download iFaith, plug in device, open iFaith v1.4.2, click the "Show Available SHSH Caches on Server" button.

Then if the gray tab shows any iOS, then those are also the iOS you can restore to. ( if nothing is there, then iFaith simply has no blobs for your device).

Good luck. Post back. Let us know.

Last edited:
if you updated to 5.1 you are in fact, screwed. you'll have to wait until they release the jailbreak for it. just be patient and do more research next time.

if you are just learning how to jailbreak i doubt you dumped your ssh blobs because that might be the only you could possibly restore it.. but i'm pretty sure with the 5.1 even that's impossible. apple isnt really too fond of people like us! good luck though!

Last edited:
Since you have upgraded to 5.1 you are pretty much ***Moderation Notice:***. However as you say that the phone has been previously jailbroke it might be worth downloading Tiny Umbrella and hooking up your phone to see if any SHSH blobs have been saved by the previous owner. Cydia did used to automatically save SHSH blobs so you might be in luck. Make sure you read around this carefully and know what you are doing before you do it....if you had done this you would have quickly realised that there is no way back from 5.1. However, it is easy for me to say this....I remember when I first started and not knowing that you couldn't just swap between firmwares, you need SHSH blobs. I think at best you might be able to get back to 4.3.x EDIT: sorry just noticed someone has said all this already! Good luck...hope you find some blobs.
Moderation Notice​: This post has been edited by iPF staff in accordance with our Forum Rules. Please refraing from using language that could be considered obscene and/or objectionable. Thanks!

Last edited by a moderator:
basically I'd suggest you google SHSH blobs and make sure you've got your head round them before going any further. You make no mention of them in your post...they are important!

yeah he can downgrade the iphone 4 using either ifaith or redsn0w (its the 4s that cannot be downgraded) but as others have stated you need the shsh blob. so download TinyUmberella and follow this tutorial.you ideally want to see an shsh blob for 5.0.1.

seems like your on the right track but if you have updated once before to the stage of sim not recognized its to late to preserve your baseband for an unlock. i think thats what you've done but your post is hard to understand iyl reread it in a min.

Last edited:
Ok after reading more carefully your screwed as far as a software unlock is concerned because you did a standard itunes restore to 5.1 which will of updated your baseband and rendered your phone impossdible to software unlock.

That second tutorial is old and apple have stopped signing 5.0.1 so now that tutorial won't work im pretty sure your errors after following the second tutorial are all shsh blob related. Plus because you've done a standard restore to 5.1 you might as well throw preserving your baseband out the window because you've already updated it and this is irreversible! So just get unlocking your phone out of your mind now because that time has passed.

Luckily you can restore to ios 5.0.1 and then jailbreak it following my tutorial here (jailbreaking is not unlocking!) Fital steps in a nutshell, create an ispw with the shsh blob attached(this means no need to mess with hostfiles), Put your phone into "pwned dfu mode", restore in itune using your custom ispw.

But because your stuck in the recovery loop you will need to put your phone into "dfu mode" yourself before opening redsn0w and following the "pwned dfu step" if you don't redsn0w will error and say your phone is in recovery mode (your going to have to create a custom ispw and your phone has to be in "pwned dfu mode" to enable itunes to complete the restore with this ispw without errors!) you know "dfu mode" looks like your phone is switched off and when you hold the power button the phone will do nothing for example it won't enter the recovery loop (you have to time it to the second, i use an online stopwatch, 10 seconds home and power exactly and then without releasing the home button release the power button and hold home for a further 15 seconds exactly and then release it.

but when you finish the restore you are still going to need a sim that the phone is originally locked to to activate and use it. If you are in the uk your only unlock option is to pay the carrier the phone is locked to ie o2, to do an imei unlock and this means your phone will be factory unlocked and you can update to your hearts content without losing the unlock. its only £15-20 but it could take them a week to do it. And your phone must not be stolen or anything.

hope this helps.

Last edited:
Wow thanks guys, lots of good answers. I really appreciate it.

Ok so if I understand correctly, because I did do the Apple update to 5.1, it updated my baseband at the same time and that's not reversible. So while I might be able to JB the phone, I won't be able to sim unlock it, right?

I had found some info on SHSH blobs over the course of my adventure yesterday but I'll admit I don't fully understand what they are or what they do. I'm pretty sure Tinyumbrella showed me 4.3.x blobs from the previous jailbreak but I didn't know what to do with them. I did hit 'save SHSH' in TU but that was *after* restoring to 5.1 so I doubt those blobs are of any value now.
I'm at work today so can't play around with the phone but I'll take some time to read about SHSH blobs to get a better understanding of their use.
As most have said, this is certainly the part where I messed up... I'm coming from the Android world where you can flash pretty much anything from the sd card - baseband, firmware, software, ROM, radio version, etc... I figured I'd just go back and install what I needed once I had the clean 5.1 install. Oh well...

I'll check out iFaith tonight and see if there's anything on the Cydia servers that I might be able to use. But achieving JB without a sim unlock is not of much use to me because changing carriers is not an option at this point for the user.

I imagine the new baseband (the one updated with 5.1) will eventually be broken and be unlockable right? I guess I can be patient and wait for the dev community to solve it.

Unfortunatly not because a new baseband unlock hasn't been released for quite a while, there wasn't one for 5.0.1 and i wouldn't expect one for the 5.1 anytime soon if ever. I would put money on never.

Are you not in the uk where you can pay the carrier its locked to to unlock it for around £15?

my tutorial i linked you to will work for downgrading your phone so you can jailbreak it or it might help you atleast understand the steps if you want to use ifaith.

If you plug your phone into tinyunberella any shsh blobs you saved earlier are still fine to use aslong as you saved them from your current device and they should still be on your device so click save shsh and see what youve got. the shsh blob versions you see are the ios versions you can currently downgrade to.

Last edited:
Are you not in the uk where you can pay the carrier its locked to to unlock it for around £15?

I'm in Canada, as far as I know the carriers don't allow unlocking their phones but I've never actually tried it. It's worth a try so I'll give a call to Telus see if they'd be willing to do that.

So it appears I screwed up pretty bad... that sucks. At best I should be able to JB the phone by reverting it to an older version, but it would remain locked (that's if Telus won't unlock it). At least I might be able to get good value selling it that way.

Thanks again for your help - I'll check out your tutorial tonight when I'm home with the iphone.

yeah remember im talking about the carrier its locked to as in uk there the only ones that can do it.

just so you know there is a tethered jailbreak for ios 5.1 on the iphone 4 with the latest redsn0w but that means everytime you restart your device you have to plug it into the pc and use redsn0w to boot the jailbreak otherwise when you reboot the phone none of your jailbroken apps and features will work. so its a pain if your out and about. but thats all there is for 5.1 at the moment.

just so you know there is a tethered jailbreak for ios 5.1 on the iphone 4 with the latest redsn0w but that means everytime you restart your device you have to plug it into the pc and use redsn0w to boot the jailbreak otherwise when you reboot the phone none of your jailbroken apps and features will work. so its a pain if your out and about. but thats all there is for 5.1 at the moment.

That sounds like a compromise I could live with (lol actually my girlfriend is the one who'd be using the phone so it's easy for me to say!) but would the phone be unlockable with that tethered jailbreak??

James.P said:
That sounds like a compromise I could live with (lol actually my girlfriend is the one who'd be using the phone so it's easy for me to say!) but would the phone be unlockable with that tethered jailbreak??

Only if you preserved the baseband by updating with a custom. Ipsw. If you updated normally with a standard stock (unmodified) ipsw, then no.....it will not be unlockable after iOS 5.1....and there is no workaround for that.

yeah he already knows he can't unlock it :)

Edit: sorry didn't see the question, are you still in denial james lol. i suppose if i lost my unlock id find it hard to accept :)

remember jailbreaking has nothing to do with unlocking the phone.

Last edited: