What's new

Need help! Friend is getting error 1600 and 21

Matrixnubee

Reaction score
So my buddy has a 32gb 3GS and it was previously jailbroken on 5.1.1 absinthe.

Recently his phone has been loosing battery very very fast and also running hot. Then he found his phone loosing power even when it was plugged in. He then bought a replacement batter online and installed it. Didn't seem to work so he then restored it to factory settings. Now when trying to restore using iTunes he's getting the errors 1600 and 21. His phone won't turn on unless it's plugged into his PC and then it will light up showing the picture saying it needs to be plugged into iTunes.

Can any help? Is there any change of him being able to fix this?

In my experience errors 21 and 1600 are most commonly caused by anti-virus software. try disabling firewall and anti-virus software when restoring. If that doesn't help then there may be other options to try. These errors can also be hardware related but every time I have encountered these errors it has usually been A/V software.

waldoe said:
In my experience errors 21 and 1600 are most commonly caused by anti-virus software. try disabling firewall and anti-virus software when restoring. If that doesn't help then there may be other options to try.

Hmmm I did see this before and tried it but no luck, maybe he'll need to try that again. Thanks man.

Any other suggestions?

You could try with another computer if you have access to one. Sometimes this error can be caused by USB. Once I had a keyboard with iPhone dock and I got the 1600 error. Resolved after. Connecting iPhone to the apple USB cable. I'd you are not using a dock, try a different port. Does your friend have previous experience installing batteries? Not that it is overly hard to do, but sometimes mistakes can be made. I would try with a different USB port or another computer altogether.

waldoe said:
You could try with another computer if you have access to one. Sometimes this error can be caused by USB. Once I had a keyboard with iPhone dock and I got the 1600 error. Resolved after. Connecting iPhone to the apple USB cable. I'd you are not using a dock, try a different port. Does your friend have previous experience installing batteries? Not that it is overly hard to do, but sometimes mistakes can be made. I would try with a different USB port or another computer altogether.

That's exactly what I told him just now, I told him we should try restoring using my computer and see what happens. I'll post up once I try it, cross your fingers for us!!

Well when I got home yesterday with his phone I plugged it in my laptop and it worked like it was supposed to... Was able to restore it properly.

Except, when trying to setup using the phones set-up screens I got stuck at the wifi step as it wouldn't let me click next after connecting to my houses wifi. I thought maybe it was due to not having a sim in the iPhone so I just plugged it in and then unplugged it over night after a full charge to re-check the original issue of the battery draining in stand-by mode. When I woke up this morning I found the phone dead once again.

Now when trying to plug it in to a power source it will cycle though the power on apple logo and then the circular spinning "reboot" logo and keep doing that without ever turning on...

Ugh any help guys?

Maybe try restoring again. If its a brand new battery, It should be lasting longer than that.

waldoe said:
Maybe try restoring again. If its a brand new battery, It should be lasting longer than that.

Ok so I took the whole phone apart and tried checking connections and the battery, all looked ok to me (but I'm no phone repair guy :/)

Put it all back together and tried plugging it into my laptop again. Tried restoring and now seeing error 21...

Ughhh I just wanna fix this damn thing for my buddy lol