What's new

My wife and I can't be friends on "Find Friends"

robberk

Reaction score
I'm trying to set both mine and my wife's phones up with the "Find Friends" app. This is probably the problem, but both of our phones are tied to our main iTunes account so we can both download apps and keep everything on the same account. I'm guessing my wife would need to have a different ID than mine for Find Friends to work? If so, then worst case scenario, she would have to switch the ID back if she wanted to purchase something off iTunes?

So a second question would also be, is the iCloud login the same as the iTunes login?

This is my first post here, so I apologize if I have this in the wrong place. Thanks for your help.

According to this Apple Support FAQ, you can't transmit your location withthe same iTunes ID at the same time on multiple devices. Find My Friends: Frequently asked questions
Can I use Find My Friends on more than one device at a time?
Yes. You can sign in to and use Find My Friends from any iOS device you own. However, only one device can transmit your location to your followers. You can decide which one by going to the Me tab, tapping Account and choosing your active device. This choice only appears when you are currently signed in Find My Friends on multiple devices

i just asked the exact same question... funny i am having the same issue. i am pretty tech savvy but only on android and wp7 devices, new to ios. however from what i have been reading, your wife is definately going to have to have her own apple id. you can create one for free. if you go into seeting>store> ___ here you will see who is signed in on that phone. odds ae you are probably the user for both devices. itunes will automatically set it up this way if you just sync both phones without changing apple ids before doing so. although you are both using seperate apple id's, you can still share the same library in itunes. only difference is now when she plugs her phone in, it should be signed in under her apple id and vice versa... make sense? hope that helps.... here is a link explaining the same thing but for icloud services, good luck
All about iCloud: Common signup scenarios | Web | Macworld

LOL...I'm guessing while RJ was typing....I was experimenting with just such a scenario.

In short, I did just that. I created a new iTunes account for my wife's phone. I then launched the "Find My Friends" app and logged in with her new account. I had to allow the app to setup an iCloud account with the new iTunes account and Accept the agreement. I was then in the app. Sent a request to my phone/email and now we can see each others location.

For good measure, I checked all the account information on the phone for the App Store and for iCloud, nothing had changed off of the "shared account" so the only thing using the new account on her phone is "Find My Friends"

This is what I did and it works great so far!

create another iCloud id. On the phone go to settings MAil,Contacts, Calendars. Then hit add account, icloud, get free apple id at the bottom. Then after you put in date of birth and location it will ask you to use an existing email or get a free @me.com one. I chose @me.com for my wife because I have her email listed under my main apple id so I didnt want to run into any problems. This is working great for me. Theres one step that asks you what to sync to icloud i turned it all off cause we are sharing one icloud id for find my iphone and photostream. Its working well!