What's new

My iphone is bricked i think

Status
Not open for further replies.

misticalodin

Reaction score
I bought an iphone 4 16gb from the United States and am currently living in India.
it came with 4.3.2 installed and was working fine with an UNTETHERED jailbreakme jailbreak.
i recently installed the emoji app from the app store and was using it and after a few hours i find my iphone dead. it wont come one! ive tried everything.
Now i tried to restore to it with itunes to 4.3.5 but i keep getting the 1601 error.
ive tried Ireb, tiny Umbrella, and ive tried putting the phone in a pwned state using ireb before doing the restore but it just doesnt work. i keep getting the same error. i am unable to download the official apple firmware of 4.3.5 as my internet is very unstable, so i downloaded the firmware from the felix bruns site.

after reading a bit i think i am stuck in a recovery mood loop but im not sure. the phone goes into DFU mode but just wont restore.
my major concerns are getting the phone to start more than the jailbreak which is secondary right now.

If someone could give me a step by step guided tutorial it will be much appreciated as im not sure what has to be done.

misticalodin
Error are very common when restoring previously jailbroken iphones.
The way to get around the error is to,
1. Quit iTunes
2. Locate the host files for itunes on your computer, for mac its at /etc/hosts and for pc its at c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts
3. Add "74.208.105.171 gs.apple.com" to the very bottom of the host files on your computer.
4. Turn iTunes back on
5. Connect iPhone and put into DFU and restore.

It Isnt working, Ive tried it before, i tried it again. Someone please help. im stuck in a recovery mode loop i think. itunes tries to install the firmware and it starts, the screen flashes white and the apple logo shows and the phone then goes back off and shows a dead battery and goes out of dfu mode again and i get error 1604, 1603, 1601. it keeps changing

You may have a legitimately bricked iPhone.
Error 16XX usually refers to custom firmware being used to restore your phone but since this is not the case you may have a broken iPhone.
One choice is to bring the phone into a apple store.
Just my two cents.

Dude, why jailbreak your phone? You won't be able to sync to iTunes or get the latest updates. It is not worth it for a few aftermarket apps. Anyways, if you still do it, bask up your data on PC, MAC or iCloud. Also encrypt it. Here you can see how to set up iCloud easy if you need. Cheers!

I'm quite new in the iPhone business and spend time on forums to learn more and perhaps help others. Thanks! Hope I'm not out of place.

G'day & welcome to the FoRuM!!!! :)

misticalodin said:
It Isnt working, Ive tried it before, i tried it again. Someone please help. im stuck in a recovery mode loop i think. itunes tries to install the firmware and it starts, the screen flashes white and the apple logo shows and the phone then goes back off and shows a dead battery and goes out of dfu mode again and i get error 1604, 1603, 1601. it keeps changing

Your iPhone is not bricked. Do not edit your host file. If you did, please change it back. You cannot install 4.3.5 because it is not being signed any more. Unless you jailbroke while it was being signed. But you said you just recently got the phone. So I doubt you have any SHSH saved for 4.3.5.

You will have to update to 5.0.1.

Download the 5.0.1 Ipsw for your device model and save it to your desktop.

Enter DFU mode, and when iTunes recognizes it, hold down the Shift key while you click restore and select the 5.0.1 Ipsw.

Then jailbreak with redsn0w 0.9.10b5c

4.3.5 only has a tethered jailbreak any way, and in fact is buggier jailbreak then 5.0.1 and before 4.3.5

Status
Not open for further replies.