What's new

Mobile Hotspot - will I know if a call or text is coming in?

hotspot75

Reaction score
Question: Does anyone know if, while using the Mobile Hotspot on the iPhone (for a laptop or tablet, etc.), is there any indication if a call or text is coming through? In other words, if a call/text is coming through, does anything pop up on the iPhone screen asking if you want to pick up the call (or reply to a text) and disconnect your internet connection? Thanks for your help!

(p.s.: I have not ordered an iPhone 5 yet...but will do so soon on my Verizon plan....)

Always know this about an iPhone. It is a cellular phone first and a microcomputer second. So you will get exactly the same alerts with or without hotspot turned on.

As for maintaining the internet connection during a call, that comes down to two factors.

If the hotspot is going thru LTE, then in theory, yes it will maintain the data connection. But I haven't personally tested it yet.

If on 3G however, the hotspot has to be suspended based on my past experince with it.

Always know this about an iPhone. It is a cellular phone first and a microcomputer second. So you will get exactly the same alerts with or without hotspot turned on.

As for maintaining the internet connection during a call, that comes down to two factors.

If the hotspot is going thru LTE, then in theory, yes it will maintain the data connection. But I haven't personally tested it yet.

If on 3G however, the hotspot has to be suspended based on my past experince with it.

Thanks very much for replying to my post!

I'm at the point where I won't mind if I'll have to disconnect the internet connection if a call is coming in (if on 3G, for example).... my biggest concern is whether I'll receive the notification that a call/text is coming through and that I'll have the option to answer (and disconnect).

By the way, I asked the same question to a Verizon.com rep via "Chat" and they said I would "probably" receive a notification on my phone. When I called my local Verizon Store (the corporate store...not an agency) to ask the question, the Verizon employee said I would NOT receive any notification. I sought out this forum with the hope that actual experienced users could reply with experience -- so I appreciate your feedback!! :)