What's new

Mi-Wi on JBed 4.2.8

SkeeterHawk

Reaction score
Has anyone tried using Mi-Wi on a jailbroken 4.2.8 iPhone4? TheMI-Wi website just lists iOS up to 4.2.7.

Yeah, I finally did the deed. Wasn't a problem this time. Last time I tried JBing, I had tried saving my SHSH blob with TinyUmbrella first (which didn't work) and the JB failed when it tried to verify with Apple. I removed the last line of the Host file that redirected the verify and that did the trick when I tried the JB again. Thanks for all the help.

Hi there... and yes, I'm using it right now. Works just fine, except for the occasional incident of the computer not wanting to connect to it - or perhaps it's the app not wanting to recognize the computer connected to it and start. I've only had that happen a couple of times. I just badger it and it starts eventually.

Brian

Thanks for the reply. I downloaded PDANet and it seemed to work fine for the short time I tried it. I'm actually checking into this for my wife. I haven't JBed her phone yet, but she's the one that will use it the most, and it would only be on rare occasions at that. I guess I'll stick with PDANet unless we star having problems.

Is there any pros or cons to using wireless vs usb tethering? It would seem usb would be much more secure.

Skeeter,

I haven't been able to get the computer to make a WiFi connection to Mywi yet, and I've tried 'till I'm blue in the tooth. (Actually, my computer doesn't have BlueTooth, so I haven't been able to try that yet.) It works fine on USB as long as I don't upset things and turn on the native tethering provided by Verizon (for my $20). There is a real conflict (suspect IP) between those two tethering methods. When I switch, I can't get the connection with the other method without either rebooting the phone or the computer (or both). I've only had the phone for a week now, and I'm trying all combinations of anything I can get my hands on for increasing my data usage quantities, before I give up the $60 a month Wireless Broadband card plan.

I decided on the MiWi first, not using a great deal of logic, thinking that "you get what you pay for" - and that hasn't worked out so well so far. I might try something else, but I first have to be positive that the other program communicates out to the Internet via the phone's 3g data pool - not the data pool set up for Verizon just for tethering, which is only 2 Gig.

Please keep me posted how it goes, and let me know, if you can, what numbers you see increasing in the "Usage" section of your phone. On mine, Verizon's tethering (Personal Hotspot) increases the numbers in the "tether Data" usage section and tethering with MiWi increases the usage numbers from the Cellular Network Data" section - just as it should be, it seems.

Thanks,

Brian

Last edited:
Guys,

I have downloaded the app and the Iphone confirms that it was completed. However, I cannot find the icon anywhere on my phone and it was not in settings either. Any ideas? Thanks

JQN91

Boy, the app Icon sure should be there. I didn't have that trouble myself. You might try doing an iTunes sync, or something. Or you could just go through the same motions with Cydia and MyWi to reinstall it.

On a previous note, I have ironed out my difficulties with my connecting via WiFi to the two tether options. It all a matter of sequences. That, and my little DOS batch file commands become useful occasionally.

Good luck.

Brian