What's new

Man Sues Apple After his Daughter Drops and Smashes Her iPhone

Maura

iPhoneForums.Net News Team
Staff member
Reaction score
accident_rate_iphone_4.JPG

Not a week goes by without Apple being subjected to some lawsuit or other, and AppleInsider reports on this week’s offering, which involves a California man who has filed a class-action lawsuit against Apple after his daughter dropped and smashed her iPhone 4. In the lawsuit, which was filed this week, Donald LeBuhn blames Apple for the fact that his daughter’s iPhone 4 smashed when she dropped it, saying that Apple has known all along that the iPhone 4 is “defective”, and has been remiss in not informing customers that the phone might break if dropped. LeBuhn goes on to say that having paid over $250 for the iPhone 4, it was destroyed when his daughter dropped it from a height of three feet when texting. His argument is that he previously dropped an iPhone 3GS from the same height, but that did not smash in the same way that the iPhone 4 did, hence the lawsuit.

AppleInsider points out that third-party warranty provider SquareTrade recently published a report saying that the iPhone 4’s accident rate was 68 percent up on that of the iPhone 3GS in its first four months of being on sale, mainly because of smashed screens.

LeBuhn’s lawsuit calls for the court to compel Apple to refund the cost of purchasing the iPhone 4 for all customers whose iPhones have suffered the same fate, and to also pay any repair fees.

Source: AppleInsider | Apple hit with class-action suit after girl drops, breaks iPhone 4's glass

Only in America does this happen Any thing to make money for lawyers and get publicity. It is a total waste of resources and courts time. I find it amusing as any phone can break or stop working if dropped I know it has happened to me Would I go out a do a Class Action Suite against Sony Erikson or Rim? No way because I was the one that dropped it. We pay insurance companies lots of money to cover " accidental damage" I don't care what device you carry in your pocket any one of them can be dropped and broken. It is also like so called rugged cameras that don't break if dropped 3 meters or quote water resistant phones.. Funny about that I had a customer bring in a camera for repare because it was not working, the customer claimed it was dropped from 2 meters and stopped working and therefore should be replaced we will see .........

Last edited:
lol oh my god that man is stupid, how is it apples fault if some one droppes their iphone no matter the age.. so dont give the little girl an iphone!!! and then sue them on top of it?!?!? hahahah imagine if all ppl who dropped their phone and it smashed did the same... they will lose

people will find any excuse to sue and to get money.. the bigger the company the bigger the target and to stupid people who make such ridiculous claims, apples lawyers will make them wish they never did this.

He should have bought her an Otterbox to go along with it.
Yup. I dropped mine once with my otter box. I freaked, but no scratch, no rub marks, no nothing.
Crap does happen. Anything can be dropped at anytime by anyone.
My brother has an Iphone 4 and says because he never dropped his 3g that he will never drop his 4 and he will not wear a wrapper on it. Is that logical thinking? To me its not worth the risk of dropping just to show you are cool by not wearing a skin or cover. Maybe apple should require an insurance policy taken out on the phone when purchased like a new car dealer would?
Hum....somebody pick up on this I just gave you an idea for a multi - million dollar business.

I know apple says they used engineered glass but, get real it's still glass. Glass shatters. Even bullet proof glass breaks with enough force. And we all know apple didn't use bullet proof glass to make there phones. Some people you know?