What's new

Magellan Premium Car with Otterbox Defender

Rizzla

Reaction score
So I have just ordered a Otterbox Defender Case, that looks like a really good case.

Otterbox Defender:
otterbox_defender.jpg

Now I'm looking for a suitable car kit dock, with enhanced GPS.

I've been looking at TomTom Car kit, and the Magellan Car kit. Both of these got a docking foot, with in my opinion is important. I don't want any car kit where the charger is on a cord and you need to put that in after you have placed your phone in the kit (Doesn't go good with the beautiful iPhone 4)

The Magellan looks to be able to be used with Otterbox Defender. However I've read rumors that it charges really slow/bad.
Im not sure that TomTom will be able to fit the Otterbox Defender, anyone know?

Has anyone tried any of these? Is there any other car kit out there that could be used?(It needs to have docking, not just a cord charger)

TomTom CarKit:
tomtom_carkit.jpg

Magellan CarKit:
magellan_carkit.jpg

Sorry to say, but I don't think either one will work. I have this case and it doesn't work with my Dexim A/V dock. The reason being that the bottom flap that covers the charging port has to be open and folded back. With the rubber being as beefy as it is, it is too thick to allow the phone to slide into the charge port of my dock. I think it would be the same on either of these two navi docks. I'm using my a/v dock without any inserts, so there is plenty of space, and it still doesn't fit properly.

The only other option would be to cut the charge port cover off of the Defender case. But I'm not willing to do that. You might, but not me.

wellll, defender case flaps open to the front. So you might actually be ok with these navi docks. On my A/V dock, the flap opening to the front still prevents the phone from seating perfectly on the charge/sync port.

Sorry for the confusion.

Yeah, I've ordered the Magellan Car Kit, but it cost my shirt, and then some. No one seem to really sell this outside US, only one guy on e-bay (the guy that took my shirt)
had to pay 44$ just for shipping, thats crazy when I "only" had to pay 15$ for Priority Shipping with Duties & Taxes for Otterbox.

I have the Magellan car kit and it works well with my Seido case. I also ordered a otterbox defender but, I probably won't use it now. I'm sure it protects the phone but, it's just too big and bulky for me and, takes away from the look of the phone IMO. I may use it if I go on a special trip or in a unique environment were I may need extra protection.

I have the Magellan car kit and it works well with my Seido case. I also ordered a otterbox defender but, I probably won't use it now. I'm sure it protects the phone but, it's just too big and bulky for me and, takes away from the look of the phone IMO. I may use it if I go on a special trip or in a unique environment were I may need extra protection.

Thanx man. Do you think Magellan will work with Defender?

Sorry to say, but I don't think either one will work. I have this case and it doesn't work with my Dexim A/V dock. The reason being that the bottom flap that covers the charging port has to be open and folded back. With the rubber being as beefy as it is, it is too thick to allow the phone to slide into the charge port of my dock. I think it would be the same on either of these two navi docks. I'm using my a/v dock without any inserts, so there is plenty of space, and it still doesn't fit properly.

The only other option would be to cut the charge port cover off of the Defender case. But I'm not willing to do that. You might, but not me.

From video and pictures it looks to me that the charger port is folded to front and not to the back. Could there be a change in design perhaps?

From video and pictures it looks to me that the charger port is folded to front and not to the back. Could there be a change in design perhaps?

I corrected myself in my second post. The flap folds to the front so it should be fine.

Thanx man. Do you think Magellan will work with Defender?

I haven't tried it but, it doesn't look like it will work. I may try it when I get the case.

Last edited:
please let us know how it goes :)

I got the case Saturday. It will actually fit in the Magellan car kit. It's kind of tight but, it is tight with my other case also; just a little more with the Otterbox. You just have to open the bottom flap. If you don't mind the flap covering the Magellan logo, it works fine.

is there any youtube video to show both these items working together? if not, can someone upload a pic, as don't want to buy the car kit and end up with a 70 quid piece of plastic, as it doesn't work every-time you dock the phone.

I've read (don't recall where) that it fits but that it won't charge the phone because the port isn't long enough to make contact through the defender. That is a showstopper for me.