What's new

macOS Sierra

Couple of things I found out today about Sierra. First off, I used to get a warning when I ejected my external music drive that it was a partition and would I like to eject the entire drive. That warning has gone so be careful and make sure you eject all partitions before unplugging external drives.

Second, Gatekeeper has been given more teeth. The option to download from anywhere, as opposed to the App Store and trusted developers, has apparently gone. Haven't attempted to d/l anything that might have needed the option yet, but it will be interesting to see how it will work.
You can still download from anywhere, you just have to right-click to open and it's the same as it was before.

Looks like I'm wrong about the drive behaviour. Other people are still seeing the warning. I may have accidentally hit "don't show this again".

OnyX for Sierra is now available from the link I supplied in an earlier post.

OnyX is OS specific. Make sure you download the correct version.
Thank you! I've been waiting for this app, Apple should have this type of thing included in their OS.

EDIT: Despite the new version of Onyx being from an "unidentified developer", it installs and runs no differently than it did under previous versions of OS X - right-click the app Onyx in the Applications folder, and choose "Open". I'm guessing the missing "Download from anywhere" option in Gatekeeper settings makes no difference.

Last edited:
Thank you! I've been waiting for this app, Apple should have this type of thing included in their OS.

I think they're too well aware of what can happen when powerful tools get into untrained hands.

"Hmm. Wonder what will happen if I click on this. Oops."

I think they're too well aware of what can happen when powerful tools get into untrained hands.

"Hmm. Wonder what will happen if I click on this. Oops."
Ah, yes, excellent point.. the dreaded "I wonder what this button does" syndrome.

If you consider what Onyx does, and the amount of work required to bring this app to the public, the app was actually released rather quickly.

Sure. There is no licence issued to potential computer buyers. Anyone can buy one, and some people drill holes in an iPhone 7 looking for a headphone jack.

Wanna bet that they'll use OnyX carefully? ;)

Eh. I'm not really sure if people take good care of their Apple products nowadays.

Night Shift has finally made it to macOS Sierra with the macOS 10.12.4 Beta.
To turn it on, bring up Notification Centre and swipe down to bring up the Night Shift switch then turn it on.
IMG_2823.JPG