What's new

macOS Sierra

I'm not seeing macOS Sierra showing up in my purchased list in the App Store. I see Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan.. but Sierra is missing despite the fact that I have downloaded it and installed it. Is anyone else seeing this? Thoughts?

Last edited:
I'm not seeing macOS Sierra showing up in my purchased list in the App Store. I see Mavericks, Yosemite and El Capitan.. but Sierra is missing despite the fact that I have downloaded it twice and installed it once (installed directly from the second download on release day). Is anyone else seeing this? Thoughts?
It took a day to show up in my Mac App Store purchase history when I upgraded.

Given the new folders in iCloud Drive (Documents and Desktop), I wonder how long it will be before computers no longer include user storage space (HDD/SSD) because everything is kept in the cloud.

Given the new folders in iCloud Drive (Documents and Desktop), I wonder how long it will be before computers no longer include user storage space (HDD/SSD) because everything is kept in the cloud.

A long time, I hope. I don't want my music etc to be at the mercy of someone who could pull the plug on it at any time.

A long time, I hope. I don't want my music etc to be at the mercy of someone who could pull the plug on it at any time.
Well, if you think about it you're at that mercy now unless you have paid off your car, home and everything else in your life. The only way to avoid being in that state would be to completely own everything you have/use in life.. and not even Tim Cook is rich enough to own his own bank, airport, restaurants, etc. Unless we live in the woods, trap/grow our own food and make our own clothes, we're always going to be at the mercy of someone somewhere.

Agreed. I've got itunes content on my computer that has been removed from my purchase history by Apple. I would have lost that content if not for the copies I have stored locally.

Agreed. I've got itunes content on my computer that has been removed from my purchase history by Apple. I would have lost that content if not for the copies I have stored locally.
Oh, I didn't realize they could do that without providing a refund. I'll have to keep that in mind when contemplating iTunes purchases.

Oh, I didn't realize they could do that without providing a refund. I'll have to keep that in mind when contemplating iTunes purchases.

Theoretically, Apple can remove any app from your phone. I don't think it's ever been done but the capability exists.

If you are bothered about preserving your iTunes music, you can always burn it to disk. I'm not that far up on iTunes, because most of my music is ripped from CD. In fact I'm moving away from iTunes because of the lack of support for .FLAC. I use that for all new rips and use Foobar2000 on the PC to play them, waiting for the day when Foobar is ported to the Mac. When I buy a Mini, I'll probably end up using Jriver, which is well worth the $50 it costs.

It buried in small print in the terms and conditions. It's this very thing which is the reason I always keep local copies of my entire iTunes library. Currently it's almost 2TB in size.

Does that mean that every time Apple releases a delta update to Sierra, OnyX will have to be updated as well?

I don't think so. There has only been one version of OnyX for each previous operating system.

Does that mean that every time Apple releases a delta update to Sierra, OnyX will have to be updated as well?
Are you familiar with the defaults write command that changes options in the OS? Onyx integrates those commands into a nice UI. Unless Apple makes major changes to any of those commands, Onyx shouldn't need any updates.

Couple of things I found out today about Sierra. First off, I used to get a warning when I ejected my external music drive that it was a partition and would I like to eject the entire drive. That warning has gone so be careful and make sure you eject all partitions before unplugging external drives.

Second, Gatekeeper has been given more teeth. The option to download from anywhere, as opposed to the App Store and trusted developers, has apparently gone. Haven't attempted to d/l anything that might have needed the option yet, but it will be interesting to see how it will work.