What's new

macOS Sierra

That's why I can download every version of OS X/ macOS from Lion to Sierra.
Yep, that's why I download them as soon as they're available even if I don't plan to upgrade - never know when they'll come in handy later. I can go all the way back to Mavericks (my first Mac).

Well, the most obvious thing is that Siri is now in the dock.

During installation, I was given the option to upload all of my documents to iCloud. I had to uncheck the option to prevent it.

I think it only fair to mention that if you're creating the bootable USB installer on a USB stick that is version 2.0, you're in for a long wait.. mine always take quite a while. I need to buy newer USB sticks.

Well, the most obvious thing is that Siri is now in the dock.

During installation, I was given the option to upload all of my documents to iCloud. I had to uncheck the option to prevent it.
Yes, the Documents and Desktop folders are new in iCloud Drive.

Also, there is now an option to automatically empty the trash every 30 days - Finder settings.

Now doing updates as a result of installing the new OS.

Pages, Evernote and iBooks Author all have updates. Presumably Numbers and Keynote also would, but I never purchased the Mac versions.

I think it only fair to mention that if you're creating the bootable USB installer on a USB stick that is version 2.0, you're in for a long wait.. mine always take quite a while. I need to buy newer USB sticks.

I always buy USB3.0 sticks. There is such a small price difference, I don't see the point in buying others.

Something @scifan57 and I already discovered is that Notes under Sierra is collaborative, and works very well. Pages (although in beta) also has this capability. The iOS and macOS versions are interoperable.

Something @scifan57 and I already discovered is that Notes under Sierra is collaborative, and works very well. Pages (although in beta) also has this capability. The iOS and macOS versions are interoperable.
Every new upgrade seems to bring with it more and more interoperability between the desktop and mobile versions of the operating systems. Gotta love Apple :)

Every new upgrade seems to bring with it more and more interoperability between the desktop and mobile versions of the operating systems. Gotta love Apple :)

At this point, it would be difficult to justify moving from an iOS or macOS device. I know there are many who use iPhones, who have never considered Mac computers. Handoff really is the icing on the cake.

It's the little gems I find that make everything worthwhile. For example, after upgrading to Sierra, open Safari and go to Bookmarks > Edit Bookmarks in the menubar, or Option+Command+B. Nice little upgrade there.

Checking a few apps now to ensure compatibility with macOS

Shortwave works. Now playing: Paul McCartney - Antenne Bayern from Munich, Germany.

Screen Shot 2016-09-20 at 2.44.00 PM.png

As yet, there does not appear to be a version of Onyx for Sierra. Hopefully, it won't be long in coming.

Caution: Don't be tempted to use any other version. This app is specific to a particular OS version. It can cause severe damage if you use the wrong one.

As yet, there does not appear to be a version of Onyx for Sierra. Hopefully, it won't be long in coming.

Caution: Don't be tempted to use any other version. This app is specific to a particular OS version. It can cause severe damage if you use the wrong one.
I was just checking on that. I think what they do is install the new OS, then process all of the defaults needed for the new version of Onyx - but this is only speculation. Most of the stuff in Onyx is from the options available in the "defaults write" command - which is why you should only use the version of Onyx made for your OS version

I have no doubt that Onyx for Sierra will be available within a few days.