What's new

LOW volume problem.

tildamanda

Reaction score
My brand new iphone 4 is wonderful, but when actually using it as a phone, I can't hear what the other person is saying. I have of course tried the volume button but can only adjust the volume very marginally. I can hear that there is a voice at the other end, but it's ridicilously low. I am not hearing impared... :) Is there a master volume control somewhere?

Place a call. While the call is active, press the + button on the right upper side of the phone.

The plus button on my new I4 does not change the volume at all. I tried as suggested while in a call and could detect no perceptible change in volume.

The plus button on my new I4 does not change the volume at all. I tried as suggested while in a call and could detect no perceptible change in volume.

Have u tried pushing down and notice any lowering volume and then pusg it up for making it louder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm a brand new member of the forum and have only had my iPhone for 2 days and having same problem of low volume - will be contacting Verizon and/or Apple today and will report back here. No volume buttons on right; volume buttons on left only seem to adjust ringer. Nothing for volume in any of the 'settings' etc. Looked everywhere. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

I'm a brand new member of the forum and have only had my iPhone for 2 days and having same problem of low volume - will be contacting Verizon and/or Apple today and will report back here. No volume buttons on right; volume buttons on left only seem to adjust ringer. Nothing for volume in any of the 'settings' etc. Looked everywhere. Glad to know I'm not the only one.

iOS 4.3??? go to: settings> sounds: there you will see a volume bar in blue.

You have to be actively on a call to uncrease call volume. If you use volume keys outside of a call it will increase ringer only. Make a call and use volume key to increase while in your call.

bab2010, the volume setting in the sounds portion of settings adjusts the rings and alerts.
When callers call, their voices are inaudible much of the time.
There is no + in the upper right when a call is active.
All volumes are maxed and callers are inaudible.

I'm thinking of a couple of options:
Inquire of Apple and see if they have an expensive accessory to raise the volume
See if there's any other 3rd party way to increase a caller's voice volume
See if there's an app designed to increase the caller's voice volume
Read the manual again
Use the headset
Use the speaker

Ideally, doubling the caller's voice volume somehow, internally, with an option would be good.

Any app developers here?

My brand new iphone 4 is wonderful, but when actually using it as a phone, I can't hear what the other person is saying. ?

Depending on where you got the iP4, you can return and exchange it for another, since you obviously are within a 14 -- 30 day return period. If from an ATT or Verizon store, then you REALLY can test or exchange.

If all else fails, get a good Bluetooth device and use it! Works like a charm.

bab2010, the volume setting in the sounds portion of settings adjusts the rings and alerts.
When callers call, their voices are inaudible much of the time.
There is no + in the upper right when a call is active.
All volumes are maxed and callers are inaudible.

I'm thinking of a couple of options:
Inquire of Apple and see if they have an expensive accessory to raise the volume
See if there's any other 3rd party way to increase a caller's voice volume
See if there's an app designed to increase the caller's voice volume
Read the manual again
Use the headset
Use the speaker

Ideally, doubling the caller's voice volume somehow, internally, with an option would be good.

Any app developers here?

A 3rd party profile app from cydia is also capable of doing such thing on the phone. Incase you have a 3rd party app for profile uninstall it.

Hi, I have had the same problem on being unable to hear callers,but they can hear me.However,but on reading another thread,I found the solution:) I'm waiting for my new case to arrive in the next day or so, so have left the protective film on the front and back of the phone.Having removed the film ,I can now hear the caller and the camera quality has improved! Feel like a plonker but at least I didn't get as far a returning it to the store!! Thanks!

Just had the same problem as the original poster with raising the volume of the caller with my new iphone 4. could make the speaker work and raise that volume but the regular phone was hopeless. called tech support at Verizon and advice was to remove the apple screen cover it shipped with (am awaiting a proper skin) and wola the volume can be raised. apparently the shipping plastic cover doesn't have a hole for the speaker and the phone won't respond. take the plastic off raise the volume and if you want put the plastic back on.

I noticed that the headphones that came with the iphone 4 is also like a bluetooth headset

I noticed that the headphones that came with the iphone 4 is also like a bluetooth headset

It's a wired white headphone which usually comes with phone, yes you can make and receive calls with that headphone, but it doesn't work nor stand like a Bluetooth one.

Hawaian got it right!

There is nothing in "settings" that controls the voice volume.

The voice volume control works by making an active call and adjusting the ringer volume button. The ringer volume buttons are located on the left side of the phone. (face front). When you have an active call push the top ringer button and the volume will increase. If you want to lower the voice volume, push the lower ringer volume button. When using these buttons the volume gets very loud or very soft.

There is no need to to mutilate your phone or get a gadget to achieve a loud volume on your phone.

I thank the OP for posting this question. It's been plaguing me since I got the phone. I should have gone to this site a long time ago.