What's new

Lost phone, can I restore backup from itunes to replacement phone?

WackyZacky

Reaction score
Hi,
Today I lost my iPhone 5s, it was insured with O2 and on the immobilise register. O2 insurance are sending me a replacement iPhone, (a 6), can i restore the backup from itunes to the replacement? I have it set to backup every time I plug it into my PC so it was last backed up yesterday evening.

Thanks,
Gerald

Yes, that’s possible. Just connect the new device to iTunes, and it will ask you if you wish to set it up as new, or restore it from a backup.

Thanks,
I've not been in this position before, had the phone 4 years. I think I lost it in the taxi coming back from a hospital appointment, rang the taxi company, who asked the driver to search the taxi but no sign, he did have a couple of passengers after he dropped me off so either of them might have found it. As far as I know it cannot now be used and it is registered as lost which goes on to a police database.

Gerald

No, I don't know what has been done to it. Is there any way to copy photos stored on my PC from the lost phone to the new one?

No, I don't know what has been done to it. Is there any way to copy photos stored on my PC from the lost phone to the new one?
If you have a backup in iTunes, you can restore everything that was on the lost iPhone, including the photos, to the new iPhone by connecting it to iTunes and setting it up from the backup of the lost iPhone.

Thanks for the reply,
The replacement I received on Thursday went faulty with 'No Service' after about 9 hours. contacted the O2 insurance and they arranged for a new replacement, which arrived just after 12 noon today. I restored the backup from the lost phone, all contacts, music and apps now on the replacement. One problem though, the apps do not show in iTunes like they used to so I cannot organise them better.
any ideas how I can get the apps to show?

Read something about this earlier, might have been the something to do with an update to iTunes version.
Sorry to be vague. Check the posts don't think you are alone with this.

The latest update to iTunes version 12.7 removed the iOS App Store, so it doesn’t show your apps any more. The ability to organize apps on your iPhone or iPad via iTunes is not available, you’ll have to do this on your iDevice.

This feels like a step in the wrong direction.
Wish they return this feature.

None of the custom ringtones that were on the iPhone 5s and are on my old 3G are on the new phone. I have tried all the suggestions as to create them again but there is not a Tones option showing in the drop down menu in the latest iTunes is it possible that if I download an older version of iTunes and install it on my second PC that I will be able to copy the ringtones again?

I'm not sure about downloading an older version of iTunes to another computer but what I've done since day one is to create 30 second long custom ringtones in an audio editing software I have then convert the resulting audio file to an m4r file using any of the free file converting software out there on the internet. After that, just connect your phone to iTunes and after iTunes recognizes the phone simply drag and drop the newly created m4r file onto your phone. Just tried it a few minutes ago with iTunes 12.7 on my iPhone 7 and it worked just like it always has in the past.

None of the custom ringtones that were on the iPhone 5s and are on my old 3G are on the new phone. I have tried all the suggestions as to create them again but there is not a Tones option showing in the drop down menu in the latest iTunes is it possible that if I download an older version of iTunes and install it on my second PC that I will be able to copy the ringtones again?
If your iPhone is on iOS 11, it won’t sync with an older version of iTunes.