What's new

looking for specific GPS/Nav/Mapping functionality

doggo

Reaction score
I am looking for an app that will do something specific and want to see if it exists out there.
1. Allow a user to map their walking route with a high degree of granularity
2. Allow the user to share that map with a second person immediately
3. Allow the second person to follow the map in real time and (ideally) be warned when they are X feet from the original route.

Specifically, this is for training tracking dogs so the first person creates the track and the second person can easily tell if the dog has gotten off the track. Rather than download scores of apps to see if one can do what I need, I thought I'd ask if such an app already exists. The absolute ideal app would have a "fence" like notification if you moved from the original track so the tracker does not need to constantly stare at the phone.

Wow that's not much to ask for
Are you saying it IS a lot to ask for? It seems like there are lots of "map my walk" kind of apps out there...And lots of navigation apps that will show you where you are real time. But I need something that combines the two so I can compare where I am walking to a route that someone has given me. Surely that already exists somewhere. Asking for it to send an alert when I get offtrack is just my pie-in-the-sky wish.

I'm sure there are hiking and 4x4 mapping apps that will do that (they call it leaving breadcrumbs) I just don't have any familiarity with any of them.

One thing to remember is the accuracy of these GPS units, you need to verify it is tight enough for your needs. When I had the need for GPS info like that I bought stand alone Trimble units and they worked great, their apps may have the functionality you are looking for.

Good luck with your search and let us know what you find.

iMessage basically has this feature, but all users must have iPhones.

Go to an iMessage, press the "I" in the far upper right corner. There is an option "Share My Location". This will track your route and the other user can see where your at at anytime (until you disable Share My Location).

Thanks. I'll try that. Can the other user see the route that I took? I don't just need the endpoint, I need to be able to follow the exact track.

Thanks. I'll try that. Can the other user see the route that I took? I don't just need the endpoint, I need to be able to follow the exact track.

Unfortunately the "Share My Location" doesn't leave bread crumbs.... It just shows your current location.

I've been thinking hard to a solution for your request, but can't think of any app that does exactly what your looking to do. Hope someone else may find a solution.

Thanks, y'all. I did find an app called "tracking dog" which looks like it might do what I need. It says it has a setting for vibrating when you are near a "corner" in the track, which I guess would work. My first test it was telling me the GPS accuracy was not good enough, but I'll play around with it.