What's new

Longtime Sprint customer, first time iPhone owner

Mtnmedic

Reaction score
Hi all,

I've been with Sprint for twelve years. I bought the first iPad-my first Apple device-the month it came out and have loved it ever since. Stopped using my laptop except for very specific purposes. Now I have an iPad 2 and love it even more. Long a PC/Windows guy (still am and do like MS products now that I know my way around them), I'm really digging iOS and Apple's approach and consistency, not to mention excellent hardware.

I used Windows Mobile phones for years until last year when I became sick of the leggy performance and discombobulated execution. I got an EVO 4G...my first Android device. Nice phone...good hardware...and the OS was decent. However, still suffered from some laggy performance issues and then started to experience the fragmentation issues, lack of any real support, etc. Then I learned the EVO 4G- barely a year old-WON'T be getting the new Ice Cream Sandwich OS update. WTF? Done with Android. I want a phone that will only be supported for more than several months to a year. And something that actually has decent hardware support. And one whose core functions are integrated, not add-on apps. And has features for someone who has a severe hearing impairment...like me. And something in the same ecosystem as my other mobile device, the iPad 2.

Enter the iPhone 4S. I walked into the Sprint Store on Bend, OR last Saturday and they had a few of the 16GB black units. Since I was eligible for an upgrade, I bought one. Beautiful phone, I must say. Getting used to the smaller screen (the one thing I really give the EVO credit for-its big screen...plus its cool little kickstand) will take some doing, but a gorgeous display it is! Siri is über cool and already has been super handy for me. I wear a device that came with my hearing aids called a Streamer, which has an antenna lanyard and hangs down from around my neck (it's slender and white...a lot of people think it's an iPod). That's the go-between Bluetooth control for my hearing aids. I can remotely control the phone with it. How cool is it to tap a button on it while I'm not near the phone and tell Siri to dial a number, take a dictated text message and send it, give me directions to something, answer my questions (and affirm that I am, in fact, it's daddy)? And how cool is it to share and sync apps between the iPad and iPhone? And easily use one to find the other, and so forth? So far, despite some features differences between the two phones, I'm loving my new iPhone and I'll probably never look back.

Oh...I'm sending my EVO to my sister in L.A., where she can take full advantage of the 4G, which is quite good, as I found out on one trip to SF. I live in a rural area in north-centeal Oregon where Sprint doesn't even exist and I'm 100% roaming (no partner towers...there IS, however an AT&T tower north of town with full strength voice and full strength EDGE for the iPad- the rest of my family in my plan are all in Sprint areas). My sister currently has a Blackberry Style, only a few months old. Her boss had a Blackberry for a long time but he loves his EVO 4G and he's let her check it out. Knowing that Blackberry and RIM are seeing eye-to-eye with the Ty-D-Bowl Man, she's looking forward to the EVO and having a REAL smartphone for once. Then I'll sell the Blackberry to make up for some of the $200 I spent on the new iPhone. A win-win.

I have been a member of your sister iPadForums.net and use their app. Love it and am a regular participant. I look forward to participating here and learning lots like I have at iPad Forums. Is there an app for iPhone forums.net as well?

with almost 200 views, not a single reply, even though many new members have introduced themselves since then and have gotten responses.

Not even an answer to my forum-related question.

Last I checked, I haven't died and become a ghost.

Sorry if giving some background information about myself was not acceptable reading for you folks. Yeah, I'm one of the few who actually write something more than just a few words. Nobody says you HAVE to read all of it.

Maybe I should've just said "whassup" and left it at that. Would've been more appealing, I suppose.

I'm nothing special. I don't warrant applause and all kinds of attention. I get that. But...throw me a bone, at least. Isn't that what this New Members "introduce yourself" section is all about?

Last edited:
Welcome to the site! I too am new here. How is your data speed on Sprints network? I have been reading a lot of complaints on Sprints network and the iPhone 4S. My wife and I were also long time Sprint customers, but jumped ship to go to MetroPCS. However, we then realized that you "get what you pay for" when it comes to MetroPCS, and we dumped them to become AT&T customers.

As far as you app question, being new like yourself, I really can't answer that.

Welcome to the forum. Nice to have you. There is an ipf.net app, that of which I am using to make this reply. Enjoy!

Hi, thanks for your reply, 96magnumram, ��

I love Sprint and the 3G has been decent for me a long while. However, I think it does seem to be a bit slow now with the 4S. Hard to tell. I live way out in the country where I'm strictly roaming-no partner towers, either. I have to drive about a half hour to get into Sprint's network area. Reception for roaming is good here. I have a 1500 min plan so no worries. WiFi at home. Data over roaming is really slow but reliable.

Last edited:
Got the app and am using it! Thanks for the tip!