What's new

Location services and power usage

Shiloh

Reaction score
How much of an impact on battery runtime does having location services on cause? I am in a metal enclosed mobile home that GPS signals cannot penetrate but I assume having location services on might still be worthwhile to use the WiFi and cellular parts of it. What about that, should I leave it on at home?

How much of an impact on battery runtime does having location services on cause? I am in a metal enclosed mobile home that GPS signals cannot penetrate but I assume having location services on might still be worthwhile to use the WiFi and cellular parts of it. What about that, should I leave it on at home?

Depends on the iPhone model. On my 6S Plus I tend to just leave all that on. The only time cellular service being on would affect your battery, is if you have no signal and the phone is constantly searching for a signal.

There are some programs that have no business knowing where I am. I turn off for flashlight etc. , then others "on when using". This is more of a privacy issue but can't hurt battery life to shut them off.

There are some programs that have no business knowing where I am. I turn off for flashlight etc. , then others "on when using". This is more of a privacy issue but can't hurt battery life to shut them off.

Flashlight? If you swipe up from the bottom of the screen, you get IOS's native flash light function. Saves ya from having another app on your device lol

Flashlight? If you swipe up from the bottom of the screen, you get IOS's native flash light function. Saves ya from having another app on your device lol

The 3 light interface can be hard to select with the native app. App Store ones are easier.

For me yes sliding up from the bottom can be a hit or miss affair, and if you don't want full power then holding the finger on the app until the 3 options pop up, why not in an App?
The one l have is called Flashlight it has 2 settings, will find one with 3.
It's one the first page press the App instant light and options, no sweat.
IMG_0840.jpg

For me yes sliding up from the bottom can be a hit or miss affair, and if you don't want full power then holding the finger on the app until the 3 options pop up, why not in an App?
The one l have is called Flashlight it has 2 settings, will find one with 3.
It's one the first page press the App instant light and options, no sweat.
View attachment 29729
Makes sense now. Without 3D Touch, the flash light toggle in control center can be a pain.

If you go through your apps in settings you might be amazed at what apps want location services turned on, some installed that way. I periodically check and shut the location use of most apps off.

I adjust settings to only allow location services for an app to when I'm actually using the app for all apps that support the feature. Unfortunately some apps only offer the choice between always and never. Those apps are not allowed to use location services on my iPhone.

What I want to know is whether leaving location services on has any noticeable impact on battery runtime. Right now I'm getting 2 to 3 days and I'd like to know if you think I would continue to if I left it on. This is the iPhone SE, 64gb with iOS 9.3.5 and will not be upgraded. GPS signals cannot be received here when indoors due to metal roof, but some less accurate location is still possible, enough for certain apps to use it. Privacy is not a concern, only power consumption.

What I want to know is whether leaving location services on has any noticeable impact on battery runtime. Right now I'm getting 2 to 3 days and I'd like to know if you think I would continue to if I left it on. This is the iPhone SE, 64gb with iOS 9.3.5 and will not be upgraded. GPS signals cannot be received here when indoors due to metal roof, but some less accurate location is still possible, enough for certain apps to use it. Privacy is not a concern, only power consumption.
If you leave Location Services on but select to use Location Services only when apps are actually in use, there won't be any battery drain caused by the use of Location Services in the background. There is battery drain when using such apps for a long time such as map and navigation apps.

Some apps require location services to function properly, such as weather apps and any kind of navigation apps.