What's new

Latest OS versions - discussions

Thanks Bear7962.
‘Up, down, power…’ is the soft reset. The problem, I found, was with the login dialogue box immediately after a soft reset not bringing up the keyboard. There was never a problem with 15.6.1 and earlier. Although I installed 15.7, I then spotted the 16 upgrade and installed that, so I don’t know if the bug came in with 15.7. (It may well have done at the end of installing 15.7, but if it did, I did not take any notice at the time.)
Up, Down Power is how to turn the phone on after a soft reboot (soft reboot is press the power button then slide to power off). After you hold and release the Power button to power back up you get the white screen. When the white screen is finished, you get the keypad. Or Perhaps you got a corrupted download.

Thanks Bear7962.
‘Up, down, power…’ is the soft reset. The problem, I found, was with the login dialogue box immediately after a soft reset not bringing up the keyboard. There was never a problem with 15.6.1 and earlier. Although I installed 15.7, I then spotted the 16 upgrade and installed that, so I don’t know if the bug came in with 15.7. (It may well have done at the end of installing 15.7, but if it did, I did not take any notice at the time.)
And an info FYI, As I now download IOS 16, you needed to put your passcode in to get the download. So, if you did the download, you were able to access the keypad at that point.

I have not had the problem when unlocking home screen. It occurs after a soft reset, which I have done a few times to verify repeatability of the bug, and the first time after installing iOS 16, which ends with a soft reset
I just downloaded IOS16 on my iPhone 8+. After the download, it rebooted and then asked me to enter my passcode on the keypad. Its not a bug, guessing your download got corrupted. After I did a reboot, it made me also log back in with my Apple ID, I assume that was for iCloud after the new download and I hadn’t waited long enough for reboot to pop up as it might after the download. But again. No issues. Its not an IOS problem but particular to you. Corrupt downloads do occasionally happen.

After a soft reset it asks for the passcode but does not present the keyboard on both our iPhone 8s until I power off and log back in. All other log ins the phones act as expected.

I like the new lock screen features. But don't like how wallpapers are set. The whole thing was a bit confusing at first. If I only wanted to change my lockscreen wallpaper, it automatically changed the homescreen to a blurred version of the same. They improved that some before the official release. But my issue is with setting some of my custom homescreen wallpapers. They don't fit right setting the new way. I have to use my fingers to adjust them. And it's very difficult to get them set properly. The first one I tried took me 2 hours to set. And it still wasn't set as well as I'd like. Before, all I had to do was tap on "set as homescreen", and it went on perfectly. Not now though. [emoji35]

Last edited:
After a soft reset it asks for the passcode but does not present the keyboard on both our iPhone 8s until I power off and log back in. All other log ins the phones act as expected.
I am sorry but I believe your download got corrupted.

I like the new lock screen features. But don't like how wallpapers are set. The whole thing was a bit confusing at first. If I only wanted to change my lockscreen wallpaper, it automatically changed the homescreen to a blurred version of the same. They improved that some before the official release. But my issue is with setting some of my custom homescreen wallpapers. They don't fit right setting the new way. I have to use my fingers to adjust them. And it's very difficult to get them set properly. The first one I tried took me 2 hours to set. And it's still wasn't set as well as I'd like. Before, all I had to do was tap on "set as homescreen", and it went on perfectly. Not now though. [emoji35]
I agree, it blew my wallpapers up to a larger size and lost parts of the picture. Wonder if it has something to domwith my dosplay settings.

My old eyes make me use bold text and I cant find what else is doing it but I have the original photos I have uses (since iphone 4 so I noticed the difference right away. I just downloaded iOS 16 yesterday so haven’t explored it all. First thing I noticed was the date/time on the lock screen was huge, betting that is connected.

My old eyes make me use bold text and I cant find what else is doing it but I have the original photos I have uses (since iphone 4 so I noticed the difference right away. I just downloaded iOS 16 yesterday so haven’t explored it all. First thing I noticed was the date/time on the lock screen was huge, betting that is connected.

Doubt it. They just force us to use our fingers to adjust the wallpapers.

Doubt it. They just force us to use our fingers to adjust the wallpapers.
Ok, thanks. Except I cant seem to do that. It will let me add a new one, it say tap to adjust current but that isnt working. I am missing something and I hate that.

Ok, thanks. Except I cant seem to do that. It will let me add a new one, it say tap to adjust current but that isnt working. I am missing something and I hate that.

Are you on the screen that says "Pinch to crop" at the bottom? Mine works fine on both lock and home. Which iPhone are you using? I'm on the public beta. I had set up about 18 homescreen/lockscreen wallpaper combos early on. Getting some of my custom homescreen wallpapers to fit was a hassle. But I just made another combo, and the homescreen wallpaper went on perfectly, without having to adjust. They must have seen my bug report in the Feedback app. LOL. Also, what size wallpaper are you using?

Are you on the screen that says "Pinch to crop" at the bottom? Mine works fine on both lock and home. Which iPhone are you using? I'm on the public beta. I had set up about 18 homescreen/lockscreen wallpaper combos early on. Getting some of my custom homescreen wallpapers to fit was a hassle. But I just made another combo, and the homescreen wallpaper went on perfectly, without having to adjust. They must have seen my bug report in the Feedback app. LOL. Also, what size wallpaper are you using?
I am on my iphone 8+. Don’t see pinch to crop. My settings looks weird anyway. It shows the two customize buttons but the pictures are the same rather than two different ones
(1 for Lockscreen and 1 for Homescreen). But the iphone still uses the 2 different screens I have been using for years. When I have time to play with it, I will re-enter both using customine and add new wallpaper but I am in the middle of a major shreding project and don’t want to let myself get distracted. I have both pictures I need saved and I no longer remember what size they are. I had to adjust when I got a bigger iphone but that was ages ago. Thanks for the info, I will try it when the shredding is over.