What's new

KYMS - Keep Your Media Safe question?

Various121

Reaction score
I did a search and couldn't find the info I was looking for so here it goes;

1) When pics/vids get imported into the app, does the original quality remain or does file quality become degraded?
2) After the import takes place, does it automatically get deleted from its source (Camera Roll or another pic folder) or does the user have to go in and delete themselves?
2) Is this some sort of cloud storage or do the files remain in the phone?

And if anyone has any other suggestions for private media storage (answering the above questions), it's much appreciated.

Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
1) Quality should remain the same when transfering from iPhone tp PC. PC to iPhone depedends.

2)Nothing gets deleted from your device when you transfer photos. You would have to delete them on the phone.

3) If you have Photo Stream enabled then the last 30 days of photos will be saved to Photo Stream. If you do not, then the pictures stay on your phone, until you delete them, or transfer to PC then delete them.

I do not recommend Photo Stream. The reason why is because it only holds your last 30 days of photos.......meaning earlier photos get deleted.

I recommend you make an account in the cloud. You can use SkyDrive, SugarSync, CloudApp(FluffyApp if your a Windows user), and Dropbox.

I recommend DropBox for pictures because it can view them on your device so well.

Make a Dropbox account, and download the Dropbox folder to your PC.

Drag and drop any photo in there you want.

On your iPhone, Get the DropBox app, open it, sign in, and any photos you dropped into the Dropbox folder on your PC are there instantly. Saved in the Cloud. Much better the Photo Stream.IMO.

The same thing applies for SugarSync, CloudApp, and SkyDrive.

SkyDrive gives you the most space atg 25GB
SugarSync is 5GB
DropBox is 2GB
CloudApp is endless, but can only upload a certain amount at a time.

Unlike the rest, SkyDrive requires you pay for the folder on your PC. It gives you a free trial, and I think it's worth it. Alternatively just go to skydrive.com, and drag the icon beside the URL bar in your browser to your desktop, and you have a shortcuit to your SkyDrive home page.

Just my 2 cents. you can deal with your photos however you want.

Note:

When viweing photos on iPhone that you dropped into the corresponding folder on your PC, it is recommended that your phone be connected to WiFi. If you view cloud photos in the dropbox app (or any other) over 3G data, the quality suppresses. Looks nice and clear over Wifi tho.

I just take a screen shot of any picture i want in my camera roll. This way I never have to worry about my photos, because as long as I download the dropbox app, my photos will be in there. just gotta remember to upload your new photos takin with your phone. Which each app allows you to do easily.

Last edited:
Hmm...are you speaking about photos in general or specifically using the KYMS app? My questions are referring to that particular app.
KYMS Official Site - Keep Your Media Safe - secret photos iphone, hidden photos iphone, password photos iphone

What I'm looking for is an app to hide photos/videos in (keep them private). I'm looking for the app to store locally (as opposed to cloud) and an app that doesn't degrade the quality of files transferred into it.

I've seen others like SpyCalc but from the limited info available, it seems that KYMS is the only one that keeps original file quality. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

Various121 said:
Hmm...are you speaking about photos in general or specifically using the KYMS app? My questions are referring to that particular app.
KYMS Official Site - Keep Your Media Safe - secret photos iphone, hidden photos iphone, password photos iphone

What I'm looking for is an app to hide photos/videos in (keep them private). I'm looking for the app to store locally (as opposed to cloud) and an app that doesn't degrade the quality of files transferred into it.

I've seen others like SpyCalc but from the limited info available, it seems that KYMS is the only one that keeps original file quality. Can anyone confirm or deny that?

Nope. Just a regular cloud app.

Tho you should know.....any app I mentioned would do the same exact thing as your "KYMS" app. Just in the cloud.

All you would have to do is keep logged out, and no one would be able to access your pictures. Simple. Don't need a whole different application for keeping pics out of reach. That's just silly, when all you have to do is "log out" of the cloud app you would be using. choose cloud of "local" any chance ya get when it comes to your device.

That way it doesn't matter if something happens to your phone, and you need to restore and setup as new, or even get it replaced. In those cases....you would be glad you started using standard cloud services.

IMO.

Thanks zig, appreciate the prompt responses.

I actually decided to contact the KYMS developers via email and I received answers to my questions. I'll share them below for anyone else that is interested...

To: xxxxx
Sent: Wednesday, April 18, 2012 5:16 AM
Subject: Re: KYMS application specific question

Hi!
1) When files are imported in KYMS the quality remains unaltered, BUT if you want to save back in the camera roll using the app, due to an API limitation, the photo quality will be loss. So if you want to get back your photos in the original quality you should get the photos from KYMS using the WiFi sharing functions (that is an optional feature).

2) We cent delete the files from photos app. You need to delete them manually
3) The file are ONLY saved locally

Regards