What's new

Keyboard freezes with Google (new iPhone 6plus, up-to-date iOS, largest storage size)

Puzzled

Reaction score
I have a new iPhone 6 plus. I have noticed that periodically when I open Safari and use Google, the keyboard will not show up when I touch the search box to type the text to search. I exit out and open it again and it has the same issue. I open a new window and still no text box.

This morning my husband swiped the app up and then I got my keyboard. I don't know if that did it or if it was just ready to behave, as was the case other times. I should not have to keep opening and force closing Safari to get the Google search engine to pop up my keyboard anyway.

This morning when the keyboard was frozen, I went into settings and selected Bing as my search engine when Google was acting up but when I touched the Safari icon, it still came up Google. I prefer Google to Bing, but wanted to see if the keyboard would freeze with Bing. I do not know if this is a Google issue, iOS issue, or my brand new phone. My phone info is stated in the topic title of this thread. That is when my husband decided to close Safari by swipng up.

This is not the downloaded google app. I touch the Safari icon and then select Google. Not interested in the Google app.

This is an addition. It just happened again. My keyboard froze or my phone stopped reacting to the touch when touching the search box in Google. I exited and went to the mail app and started typing a fake email. Keyboard worked just fine. Went back to the Safari and the keyboard would not appear when touching the text box to enter words to search. I could not get out of Google to try a different search engine or enter a site that has a text box.

Then I remembered that I had saved the address to the home page of this forum to my home screen. Exited Safari and clicked the icon and opened this site. But, I could not enter my username or password. No keyboard appeared when touching the text box. I can't remember how I did it, but I was able to get to the Yahoo.com. I believe I touched the icon to add a new page and Yahoo was an option. Well, it was the same story. No keyboard to type text.

I thought that maybe it was my WiFi and turned it off, did not matter. Shut down and swiped to close Safari, no different. Turned off phone completely and then waited and turned it back on and still no keyboard. I set it down on my coffee table and just let it be. It was there about 1 1/2 hours not being used. My husband gave it a try and it was back to having keyboard appear again.

So, it is not Google, it appears to be Safari. I did turn off my WiFi, I turned off my phone for a while, I did all the pat solutions. It just started working properly. This happens quite often and at the price of this phone, putting it down in time out because it misbehaves is not a solution.

I don't like Google Chrome and I should not have to use that because Apple's own Safari is not working.

Has anyone else had this issue? I am going back to my cell service provider this week with the problem. Have not even had this for a week. If anyone else has has this issue, please provide me with whatever info you can provide.

Another thing I am noticing is a slow reaction to typing and I don't know if it is just Safari or all apps.

Thanks for any additional info anyone can provide.

Last edited:
Power down your phone and then turn it back on again.

Thanks your quick response. Unfortunately, I did that. It does nothing. I waited a while and turned my phone back on and I still could not get the keyboard to pop up in Safari. I should not have to do that anyway, but it would have been nice if it would have worked as a workaround. Thanks.

This is what I have tried:

I turned my phone completely off for a while and tirned it back on

I disconnected it from my WiFi

I tried Yahoo browser and it did not work, so it is not a Google issue

During the time the keyboard does not appear in Safari, it will pop up for use in the Mail App, so their must be something wrong with my Safari since it is not happening to everyone.

I read something when taking advantage of the keyboard working in Safari about issues in earlier iOS, and they said to turn off iCloud for Safari. Since I do not use the cloud except for contact backups, I have turned iCloud off for Safari and hopefully that 2014 suggestion for an earlier iOS will apply, if it was indeed a workaround. I really don't consider workarounds a solution, but hopefully, it will help until I can find out more.

Thanks for reading and any input anyone may have to share.

Last edited:
Since you just got your new iPhone, you have free telephone technical support for 90 days after purchase, why not make use of it by calling Apple technical support if bear's advice doesn't help.

Since you just got your new iPhone, you have free telephone technical support for 90 days after purchase, why not make use of it by calling Apple technical support if bear's advice doesn't help.

Hmmm. Did not know that. I will call them this week, or maybe go up to the Apple Store. But, I did not purchase the phone through Apple. I purchased it through my cell provider. Is there still 90 days free tech support from Apple?

The Apple Store also holds fee classes on Basic IPhones. Perhaps that could help too.

Well, will be contacting Apple either in person at the store, or by phone. If you turn Safari off in iCloud, you can't even get a search engine, not even the default selected in settings. Weird.

Hmmm. Did not know that. I will call them this week, or maybe go up to the Apple Store. But, I did not purchase the phone through Apple. I purchased it through my cell provider. Is there still 90 days free tech support from Apple?
The standard Apple warranty applies no matter where you bought the phone. I hope technical support or the Genius Bar at the Apple Store can help. Please let us know how it goes.

Remember it's a free call to Apple and it would be the first thing I would try, I always find the tech support on the phone excellent.

One simple thing to try if you haven't already is a hard reset.
Hold down your on/off and Home button at the same time until the Apple appears then let go, your phone will reboot and it may clear any glitches.
Worth a try.

This is an addition. It just happened again. My keyboard froze or my phone stopped reacting to the touch when touching the search box in Google. I exited and went to the mail app and started typing a fake email. Keyboard worked just fine. Went back to the Safari and the keyboard would not appear when touching the text box to enter words to search. I could not get out of Google to try a different search engine or enter a site that has a text box.

Then I remembered that I had saved the address to the home page of this forum to my home screen. Exited Safari and clicked the icon and opened this site. But, I could not enter my username or password. No keyboard appeared when touching the text box. I can't remember how I did it, but I was able to get to the Yahoo.com. I believe I touched the icon to add a new page and Yahoo was an option. Well, it was the same story. No keyboard to type text.

I thought that maybe it was my WiFi and turned it off, did not matter. Shut down and swiped to close Safari, no different. Turned off phone completely and then waited and turned it back on and still no keyboard. I set it down on my coffee table and just let it be. It was there about 1 1/2 hours not being used. My husband gave it a try and it was back to having keyboard appear again.

So, it is not Google, it appears to be Safari. I did turn off my WiFi, I turned off my phone for a while, I did all the pat solutions. It just started working properly. This happens quite often and at the price of this phone, putting it down in time out because it misbehaves is not a solution.

I don't like Google Chrome and I should not have to use that because Apple's own Safari is not working.

Portrait or landscape, does not matter.

Has anyone else had this issue? I am going back to my cell service provider this week with the problem. Have not even had this for a week. If anyone else has has this issue, please provide me with whatever info you can provide.

Another thing I am noticing is a slow reaction to typing and I don't know if it is just Safari or all apps.

Thanks for any additional info anyone can provide.

I have the same exact problem Puzzled. Oh BTW, I'd be offended by the post that told you to "take a class". Humpft, seems to me you know more than most when it comes to troubleshooting. I've tried everything you suggested in addition to: double click and close all Apps, then hope and pray the keyboard appears, often it does.

I've done a lot of trouble shooting too and I wondering if it has to do with "SwiftKey" or any additional keyboard App because I'm thinking that's when it started. I'll delete the app, restart, etc etc and see if that resolves the issue.

You too please, if you find the resolve, please let me know!
Thanks

SOLUTION AND CAUSE FOUND

Believe I know the issue. Safari has an issue with landscape. If you open Safari in portrait and touch the search box to activate the keyboard (I am using the built in keyboard. Do not have any downloaded). Then you can turn the iPhone 6 Plus to landscape. My son-in-law was visiting and I showed him. I thought I checked that, but I had already opened Safari in landscape and then turned to portrait, did no good. You have to swipe it closed if you had opened in landscape, then open Safari in portrait and turn to landscape after activating the keyboard.

Once this was figured out, I tried it over and over and over and came up with the same results. I tried swiping and opening in landscape. Each and every time there was no keyboard. Swiped and opened in portrait, got the keyboard and turned to landscape and had the keyboard. As long as you have not swiped up to close Safari or turned your phone completely off, you are all set after opening Safari in portrait and activsting the keyboard.

It does not do this with Google Chrome, but I am not a fan of that, so will just do the portrait swap until Apple fixes their Safari. Maybe the next iOS or Safari update will have a fix. I can live with doing the swap.

The odd thing is that I Googled the issue and found no posts with this particular problem. Most of the posts were 2014 or earlier 2015 and had to do with the pop ups when you hold down a letter on the keyboard. I don't have that issue and don't want to discuss it with this thread because it would be off topic.

I am glad you found a temporary solution. But I have to tell you I am not experiencing the same issue so you need to continue to get this resolved. As the phone is within the warranty period that is not a problem. As a side note, there are easier ways to access search on your iPhone.