What's new

iCloud versus Google

macher

Reaction score
Hi I find that I use Google 'platform' things such as calendars, contacts and bookmarks etc than iCloud when I'm on adesk top or lap top. I don't want to be locked into iCloud. Google is more universal, almost everyone has gmail. I never use Safari when on a desk top or laptop and find often that I need my Safari bookmarks from my iPhone.

What are the easiest ways to 'google-ize' my iPhone compared to iCloud? Such as backing up bookmarks, photos etc?

I tried Google Chrome App and I like it better than Safari. But I ran into an instance where I wanted to share a you tube video via text message and I couldn't with Chrome. Another thing I didn't like about Chrome is YouTube vids don't open in the YouTube app, they open in m.youtube.com.

Last edited:

willerz2

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
You can use Google Drive and other Google related products to give you more of a familiar feel. AFAIK, since the Youtube.app migrating into its own standalone app, nothing opens up via the Youtube.app anymore when you're coming from a browser unless you're jailbroken with a tweak.

OP
M

macher

Reaction score
You can use Google Drive and other Google related products to give you more of a familiar feel. AFAIK, since the Youtube.app migrating into its own standalone app, nothing opens up via the Youtube.app anymore when you're coming from a browser unless you're jailbroken with a tweak.

Actually in the Gmail stand alone app you tube opens up in the you tube app. When I in Chrome and I'm searching for info and there happens to be you tube videos and I click it doesn't open up in the you tube app but in m.youtube.com

The problem with the feel is when I use my desk top or laptop which I only use google stuff or Firefox. I never use safari even on my iMac and when I check calendars on my iMac I use Google cal.

Last edited:

Scottysize

Reaction score
Actually in the Gmail stand alone app you tube opens up in the you tube app. When I in Chrome and I'm searching for info and there happens to be you tube videos and I click it doesn't open up in the you tube app but in m.youtube.com

The problem with the feel is when I use my desk top or laptop which I only use google stuff or Firefox. I never use safari even on my iMac and when I check calendars on my iMac I use Google cal.
Chrome follows me wherever I'm at, but I have started using Safari and I'm liking it better. Like you, I never used Safari on my Macbook Pro. When I got my iPads, I immediately installed Chrome, and again with my iPhone I went with Chrome. Now, since I have all Apple, I've started using Safari more and I'm kinda diggin' it. Firefox can jump off a cliff.

As for YouTube, that's how it works on a mobile device such as an iPhone and iPad.

For Google Cal, there is a Google Calendar app, but since it doesn't update from our Exchange Server (you have to import into Google Cal from an Exchange Server every few weeks), I don't use Google Cal. I find the Apple calendar works just fine.

xplodee

Reaction score
AFAIK, since the Youtube.app migrating into its own standalone app, nothing opens up via the Youtube.app anymore when you're coming from a browser unless you're jailbroken with a tweak.

Ehhh ?

I never Jb'd any of my iPhone.
And even right now before posting this.
I did a Google search for "Rossi".
There was the video link.
I tap on it and all the time it open up in YouTube App only. :)

@macher
I'm sure you already have the YouTube app from AppStore ?

Open it
On left top, click on those 3 lines. That's a button.
Then Tap on Settings.
And the second Option in Settings is "Open Links With Chrome".
Switch it to Yes, if its NO by default.

Posted from my iPhone via Tapa ! 📲

OP
M

macher

Reaction score
Ehhh ?

I never Jb'd any of my iPhone.
And even right now before posting this.
I did a Google search for "Rossi".
There was the video link.
I tap on it and all the time it open up in YouTube App only. :)

@macher
I'm sure you already have the YouTube app from AppStore ?

Open it
On left top, click on those 3 lines. That's a button.
Then Tap on Settings.
And the second Option in Settings is "Open Links With Chrome".
Switch it to Yes, if its NO by default.

Doesn't work. Example when I do a search in Chrome 'how to tie a tie' and there are you tube videos and I click on a you tube video it doesn't open up in the YouTube app, it opens up in m.youtube.com

When I do the same search in Safari and click on a you tube vid it opens up in the You Tube app.

xplodee

Reaction score
Even after the settings as I mentioned ??

8m59.png

Last edited:

xplodee

Reaction score
Well, I just installed chrome to check it out and yes it's not happening.

Sorry for the trouble.

Guess you have to adapt Apple and its way of using Apple now ;)

OP
M

macher

Reaction score
Well, I just installed chrome to check it out and yes it's not happening.

Sorry for the trouble.

Guess you have to adapt Apple and its way of using Apple now ;)

Weird that in the Gmail app if a you tube video is in a link then it will open in the YouTube app.

Latest posts