What's new

Key pad use during a phone call that requires menu option selection

colleenloretta

Reaction score
How do I get the key pad up, during a phone call. When I call an institution, and it says to enter an extension number, or requires me to enter a menu option number or a 0 for operator, how do I get to the key pad to accomplish this?
Thank you....

Press the "keypad" button during the call. The keypad will appear. You might want to hit the speaker button first so you can hear the menu options.

I just checked to make sure it works. It's the middle button on the top row.

Thanks, I'll do that.
But is there a setting somewhere, to keep the iphone from 'going dark' or falling asleep so I can see? Something like a time setting adding more seconds to give me more of a chance to operate the keyboard? Thanks so much for your help.

Press the "keypad" button during the call. The keypad will appear. You might want to hit the speaker button first so you can hear the menu options.

I just checked to make sure it works. It's the middle button on the top row.
Thanks, I'll do that.

But is there a setting somewhere, to keep the iphone from 'going dark' or falling asleep so I can see? Something like a time setting adding more seconds to give me more of a chance to operate the key pad? Thanks so much for your help.

When you move the iPhone away from your face, the screen will show several options. That should happen automatically.

There's a built in proximity sensor that turns off the display and touchscreen when you put the iPhone up to your face during a all. This has been a feature of the iPhone since the first iPhone was released in 2007. It can't be disabled, but moving the iPhone away from the face will automatically turn on the display.

If you make the call on speaker, touching the screen as it dims works just as it does when you are in other areas on your iPhone.

THANKS to all of you for your help. The manual wasn't too clear, but with your feedback it all now makes sense. Now that I understand about that 'proximity sensor' and the need to be on speaker phone, it all has fallen into place!
thanks!

Just one more clarification. When you are on speaker, the proximity mode does not operate. It's a one or the other thing.

Just one more clarification. When you are on speaker, the proximity mode does not operate. It's a one or the other thing.
Thanks for this info. Would ear-buds instead of being on speaker work? Would the display with options still show? Thanks!

I think you're overthinking this. If you are not on speaker the proximity sensor works so if you notice the screen dimming, just touch it. When you return the phone to your cheek to talk, the proximity sensor will re-engage.

I think you're overthinking this. If you are not on speaker the proximity sensor works so if you notice the screen dimming, just touch it. When you return the phone to your cheek to talk, the proximity sensor will re-engage.
Thanks, got it. And YES I was overthinking this!!