What's new

The quickest way to make a phone call

newdaisy

Reaction score
Hi,
I am new to this forum. I have owned an iphone for almost a year now. One of the biggest issues I have is the OS. I have yet to run into someone who agrees with me on the following fact. The number of key swipes it takes me to dial a phone number is extremely inefficient and it relates directly to the antiquated OS. Here are some examples from using the multiple ways of calling someone on the iphone:

Scenario 1 - 6 key swipes. THIS IS THE FASTEST WAY TO CALL SOMEONE ON THE IPHONE in terms of true phone functionality (i.e. going into recent calls is not how apple expects you to make a phone call). My phone is asleep. My phone is in the first window of apps. Nothing is in the 'Search iPhone' section from a previous search. 1. hit center button 2. swipe to unlock 3. slide over to instant search function 4. type name of contact (I'll count this as one key swipe) 5. select contact 6 select number ---- phone dials

Scenario 2 - 7 key swipes. My phone is asleep; my phone app is in the contacts module in the 'all contacts mode'. 1. hit center button 2. swipe to unlock 3. hit phone app 4. activate search function 5. type name (i'll count this as one key swipe) 6. select contact 7. select number ---- phone dials

Scenario 3 - 10 key swipes. My phone is asleep; I was previously playing a game that I stopped playing but it's still up and running. This game is in a folder I created for all my game apps. My phone app is in contacts mode and in the 'info' mode of a previous person I was trying to call. 1. hit center button 2. swipe to unlock 3. hit center button to get out of the game i was playing 4. hit anywhere outside of the game folder to close my game folder 5. hit phone app 6. hit search to get to new contact i want to call 7. activate search function 8. type name (i'll count this as one key swipe) 9. select contact 10. select number ----- phone dials

The reason I bring this up is because when I go to make a phone call, I often find myself stuck just trying to think of the best way to find the contact I'm trying to call. I came from webOS. The best part of that phone was type to search. You could make a call in three key swipes. It was so easy. Even if you set up 'Favorites' in the phone app, there are still so many scenarios where it takes too many key swipes just to make a phone call. Does anyone else agree with this?

Why not just hit and hold the home button and use voice control. 1 key press and the job is done.

Point taken, but I don't have Siri. Also, that would arguably be 5 moves. 1. Hit the center button, 2. swipe to unlock, 3. hold center button, 4. tell siri who you want to call 5?? I believe you have to confirm the name??. given that she hears it correctly ---- phone dials. So yes, this would be quicker but my point is still being missed.

Last edited:
Actually you can hold the home key from any screen and Siri will activate. No need to go to the home screen.

So you don't have to unlock the phone to use siri? The phone can be asleep and you can hold the center button and siri will activate? If not, then it's 5 moves to make a phone call with Siri.

Voice control is not Siri. It's available on the iPhone 4, from the lock screen.

Also, hitting the home key a few times, hitting phone and then favorites doesn't seem like that much to me.

But the OP is asking for the quickest way.

Press one button, say "Call home" and that's it. I don't think there's a faster way.

newdaisy said:
So you don't have to unlock the phone to use siri? The phone can be asleep and you can hold the center button and siri will activate? If not, then it's 5 moves to make a phone call with Siri.

That is correct. I don't know how it works with a pin lock though. But if your wanting a fast setup I assume you don't pin lock your phone anyways.

But the OP is asking for the quickest way.

Press one button, say "Call home" and that's it. I don't think there's a faster way.

As for the voice control on the iphone 4, how do i use that? I had no idea.

Correct, I don't pin lock my phone.

Last edited:
I should add that you can only call numbers in your contact list from the lock screen.

We pay for the functionality of smartphones with increased complexity for simple tasks.

From the lock screen, hold the home button. You'll hear a double beep. Say "Call..." Followed by the name of a contact. If there are multiple numbers it will list them vocally. Say the one you want to call.