What's new

Jailbreaking iPod Touch 4G, some doubts before procedure

Maxxd

Reaction score
I will get one with 4.3.3 tomorrow, researched about jailbreaking, but I have a few doubts I would like to clarify first:

1. As far as I know, we can do (and should) a backup with iTunes. Let's say the first thing I do is a backup, and then I JB the device, and then I want to "unjailbreak" (for warranty purposes). Restoring with the backup previously saved, will I "lose" the JB, and get the iPod in the same state as I bought it?

2. Here I say that I should use RedSnow 0.9.9b2 to JB for 4.3.3. But should I use the lastest version available (the 0.9.9b6), or each redsnow version is for a specific iOS version?

3. I see some users sometimes talking about baseband. This is relevant for the iPod or just for the iPhone?

I think you already understood I do not wish to update to iOS 5 (only tethered JB yet). Really appreciate help in these questions :) Also appreciate if there's any other detail I should be aware :)

Last edited:
1. Yes, you should backup your device in iTunes. ALSO you should check with TinyUmbrella to make sure the previous owner saved your 4.3.3 SHSH while it was being signed. If they didn't I STRONGLY advise you to dump your 4.3.3 SHSH using iFaith(the only method to save your SHSH once that firmware has stopped being signed). That way if you ever need to restore 4.3.3 in the future you will be able to.

2. 4.3.3 is compatible with the JailbreakMe.com jailbreak, no need to use redsn0w.

3. Baseband is only relevant for iPhones if you plan on using the phone with an unofficial carrier.

Hope that answers your questions!

1. Yes, you should backup your device in iTunes. ALSO you should check with TinyUmbrella to make sure the previous owner saved your 4.3.3 SHSH while it was being signed. If they didn't I STRONGLY advise you to dump your 4.3.3 SHSH using iFaith(the only method to save your SHSH once that firmware has stopped being signed). That way if you ever need to restore 4.3.3 in the future you will be able to.

2. 4.3.3 is compatible with the JailbreakMe.com jailbreak, no need to use redsn0w.

3. Baseband is only relevant for iPhones if you plan on using the phone with an unofficial carrier.

Hope that answers your questions!

1. Yes I read the SHSH importance on FAQ :) The iPod is new, it's just from an old stock from a store I asked a friend to buy :) So I suppose I should use iFaith. But just a thing that was not clarified, the restore action will unjailbreak the device?

2. Yes I know that, but JailbreakMe do not install Cydia, or I'm wrong?

3. As I thought :)

Many thanks!