What's new

jailbreak an iPod Touch 4G

Cru

Reaction score
Hello!
My brother have got an iPod Touch 4G, which is running iOS V.4.1 and it is jailbroken (Untethered). He would like to update it to the latest version (I'm not sure what the latest version is) and jailbreak it again.
I'm wondering if it is worth updating his iPod to the latest version? Are there any necessary features? Is there an untethered Jailbreak for the latest version?
We would really appreciate all help. Thank you in advance!

Hello!
My brother have got an iPod Touch 4G, which is running iOS V.4.1 and it is jailbroken (Untethered). He would like to update it to the latest version (I'm not sure what the latest version is) and jailbreak it again.
I'm wondering if it is worth updating his iPod to the latest version? Are there any necessary features? Is there an untethered Jailbreak for the latest version?
We would really appreciate all help. Thank you in advance!

Hello. The latest version is 5.0.1 , and yes it is worth updating to, because of the new notification center which is great, and imessage, and icloud.

There is an untethered jailbreak for ios 5.0.1, you can download and use redsn0w 0.9.10b4

Definitely worth updating.

Tell your brother to do a backup in itunes, then do a restore/setup as new (second part very necessary so previous traces of jailbreak don't carry on to the new installation) and then he can jailbreak it and sync with itunes to get his stuff back in there (NOT restore from backup, SYNC).

If he gets an error during restore (most common is error 3194), he will need to edit his host file to remove the gs.apple.com line from it (you can google "how to edit host file" or "error 3194" or look it up in the forum).

If you have any more issues, please feel free to message me.

Hello. The latest version is 5.0.1 , and yes it is worth updating to, because of the new notification center which is great, and imessage, and icloud.

There is an untethered jailbreak for ios 5.0.1, you can download and use redsn0w 0.9.10b4

Definitely worth updating.

Tell your brother to do a backup in itunes, then do a restore/setup as new (second part very necessary so previous traces of jailbreak don't carry on to the new installation) and then he can jailbreak it and sync with itunes to get his stuff back in there (NOT restore from backup, SYNC).

If he gets an error during restore (most common is error 3194), he will need to edit his host file to remove the gs.apple.com line from it (you can google "how to edit host file" or "error 3194" or look it up in the forum).

If you have any more issues, please feel free to message me.
He doesn't need to backup anything. Can he just click the "download and update" button? And then jailbreak it?

Cru said:
He doesn't need to backup anything. Can he just click the "download and update" button? And then jailbreak it?

Better to do restore/setup as new if it was previously jailbroken. Not recommended to do update only.