What's new

Jailbreaking iphone 3gs 6.1.2 that's locked?

Python49

Reaction score
Hey guys. Need a bit of help. Am outside of the USA and have a locked 3gs iphone that's on the iOS 6.1.2. I can't activate it using an accpeted SIM and redsn0w doesn't have a jailbreak for 6.1.2 yet it seems. The evasion jailbreak that exists is saying the phone needs to be activated first. I tried to pwnDFU boot it and restore to a previous iOS in itunes but that didn't work either using the 6.1.1 ipsw file. Any help? Am not sure what to try since downgrading to a previous iOS didn't work (or perhaps i don't know how to do it properly), and jailbreaking it from 6.1.2 only has one option I'm aware of available (evasion) which requires activation first.

http://www.iphoneforums.net/forum/i...-my-iphone-ios-x-x-x-thread-51577/index4.html

Note to those Jailbreaking iOS 6.0/6.0.1/6.1/6.1.2 on RedSn0w

For those that are jailbreaking on iOS 6.0/6.0.1/6.0.2/6.1, you MUST use the iOS 6.0, yes, SIX POINT ZERO to jailbreak. The iOS 6.0.1 IPSW is NOT recognized, nor is the 6.0.2 or 6.1 IPSW and will result in "Exploit Failed" or "Missing key.plist" errors. So make sure you're using iOS 6.0's IPSW to jailbreak. Restore using your respective IPSWs.

just curious since I'm trying to do this for a friends iphone 3gs, but how come on my iphone 3gs I was able to jailbreak using the new untethered jailbreak from evasion but he can't on his? When I jailbroke my iphone it didn't give me the SIM card error message. Was that because mine is already unlocked and just needs jailbreak? If so, once I jailbreak his and it's unlocked, can I then also upgrade him to the 6.1.2 and then use evasion untethered same as I did on mine?

If you're relying on a software unlock like UltraSn0w, you need to re-unlock it after every restore/upgrade/downgrade. If you're on a factory unlocked device, you can upgrade, downgrade or restore as you please and you won't have to re-unlock it again

The reason why you could jailbreak and he couldn't can be because either you or your friend just did a restore on the device and you didn't activate it.

From what you describe, it sounds like my phone was factory unlocked then since I've never seen this issue of SIM card or activation problems and such, and I've restored or upgraded many times.

Problem on his phone right now is that it isn't letting me restore to iOS 6.0. I put the phone in pwn DFU mode using redsn0w and then try to select the 6.0 ipsw and then open in itunes and select and it tells me error 3194. I tried many of the fixes from a google search for error 3194 involving the host file and none of them worked. His phone appears to be updated to the latest version of iOS but appears to be locked, and the redsn0w jailbreak is requiring 6.0 but can't restore to 6.0... is there a fix for this?

If the carrier you're using now with your phone is the original carrier of the phone, you won't have problems activating. I'm assuming your friend's SIM card does not match the original carrier of his phone.

Yeah it's not the original carrier. He's on iphone 6.1.2 that isn't being able to be rolled back to a previous iOS and also evasion 6.1.2 isn't jailbreaking his because it says it needs to be activated first. What to do if the SIM isn't the original carrier of phone? The iphone I bought on ebay worked fine when I brought it outside the country and just put a diff SIM in. Even when I updated mine to the latest iOS it still never had a problem jailbreaking from there.

Jailbreak using RedSn0w. The jailbreaking process with hacktivate the device as well so that you can install UltraSn0w onto the device. Your device is most likely factory unlocked, which is a perm unlock.