What's new

Re-Locking, Un-Jailbreaking, and returning iPhone 3GS to factory settings

justynvynn

Reaction score
Hi, I'm new to these threads,

I came here solely to find out if I could just remove Jailbreak and re-lock my iPhone 3GS. The baseband is unfortunately 06.15.00, and I want to return it to factory settings.
I was wondering if this was possible. I tried searching the forums before I posted but I didn't find anything that really gave me answer (So I apologize if theres another post about this.)

Everything I keep finding is downgrading baseband but keeping it unlocked, and usually it only works for the 3G.

Like I said I just want to return it to the boring iPhone 3GS, that's locked and not jailbroken, I'm tired of tethering the device, and I'm trying to sell it, so I doubt the new owner will want to tether it everytime.

I hope someone can help.

Thanks
Justyn Vynn

Will I still have to tether to turn the phone on, if I unjailbreak?

justynvynn said:
Will I still have to tether to turn the phone on, if I unjailbreak?

No... with the phone returned to factory settings there's no need to tether after the device rebooting.

Since you have the iPad baseband installed you can't really unjailbreak the device if you want to continue using it as a phone, since without unltrasn0w running you will simply get "No Service" all the time.
And furthermore, it will always be tethered if it is jailbroken, so a bit of a catch 22... :(

That's why you really need to heed the warnings about installing the iPad baseband on a phone. There are plenty of disadvantages, and this is for sure a big one!

justynvynn said:
Even with the baseband being 06.15.00?

Connecting to iTunes & updating the phone will update the firmware & baseband to the most recent Apple release. 5.0.1 Firmware & 04.11.08 baseband.

thomasjtsi said:
Connecting to iTunes & updating the phone will update the firmware & baseband to the most recent Apple release. 5.0.1 Firmware & 04.11.08 baseband.

NO! You can't just downgrade the iPad baseband installed on a 3GS by simply restoring. It does not work that way... If it did, everyone would have been doing it risk free. There are LOTS of disadvantages to installing this baseband. Losing the ability to restore the phone normally is one of them.

And I think you'll find 04.11.08 is an iPhone4 baseband, not 3GS, which is 05.16.05 (which is a moot point anyway since he can never downgrade).

Last edited:
f4780y is correct. Once you are on the iPad baseband there is absolutely no possible way to downgrade or upgrade to any other baseband.

NO! You can't just downgrade the iPad baseband installed on a 3GS by simply restoring. It does not work that way... If it did, everyone would have been doing it risk free. There are LOTS of disadvantages to installing this baseband. Losing the ability to restore the phone normally is one of them.

And I think you'll find 04.11.08 is an iPhone4 baseband, not 3GS, which is 05.16.05 (which is a moot point anyway since he can never downgrade).
Ok, my bad on that one... another bit of information that I was unaware of. I will definitely remember this for future reference. Sorry for misleading the OP.

thomasjtsi said:
Ok, my bad on that one... another bit of information that I was unaware of. I will definitely remember this for future reference. Sorry for misleading the OP.

No problem. You know we just like members to get accurate information, that's all! :D

Just remember the 06.15.00 baseband is from the iPad and once anyone installs that on their phone they permanently void their warranty and can never restore normally again. They must always use a custom firmware and use ultrasn0w to unlock.

Musclenerd and others have suggested it may be possible to undo in the future, but so far nothing has ever come of that (it's hardly their top priority after all!).

Last edited:
No problem. Just remember the 06.15.00 baseband is from the iPad and once anyone installs that on their phone they permanently void their warranty and can never restore normally again. They must always use a custom firmware and use ultrasn0w to unlock.

Musclenerd and others have suggested it may be possible to undo in the future, but so far nothing has ever come of that (it's hardly their top priority after all!).
Thanks Lee!!

Hey guys! I have this very same question, however I got by phone unlocked by AT&T already just today, now I can get rid of ultrasnow for sure, but is it possible to get rid of jailbreak? I also have the ipad BB and I would like to restore my phone I'm on 5.0.1,if not is there anyway to fix the location services from crashing now that the phone is unlocked? that's the main reason I want to go back to factory settings.

Once you've updated to the iPad baseband there's no way to downgrade. If you want to restore you will have to restore a custom firmware without a baseband update to prevent iTunes from erroring out.

Once you've updated to the iPad baseband there's no way to downgrade. If you want to restore you will have to restore a custom firmware without a baseband update to prevent iTunes from erroring out.

Hi Jmills87,

I had an iphone 3gs on contract with AT&T and i didn't know that i could get it unlocked from the AT&T guys after completing my contract. So i upgraded the baseband to iPad BB, jailbroke using redsnow 0.9.10b8 ipsw 5.1 and unlocked it using ultrasnow. But the problem is that i have to tether reboot everytime the phone powers off or else it does not detect the service and gives a "No Service" error.
I contacted AT&T and they gave me the instructions to unlock the phone which is basically restoring the phone with iTunes.
I wanted to ask if i should restore it with iTunes or just wait for the untethered jailbreak to arrive? I know i can not downgrade or upgrade from the iPad BB but is there a solution to this problem? I would have never jailbroken or upgraded the firmware to iPad BB if i knew i could get it unlocked from the AT&T people.

Please help..!!

Thanks in advance.