What's new

iPhone 6.1.2 Jailbreak Issues... Any Help?

masterbeat99

Reaction score
Hi all... my beloved jailbroken 6.1.2 Verizon iPhone 5 was stolen last week, so I had to get a new one. Having avoided updates, I wasn't aware every new phone replacement I got was going to be on 6.1.3. So I found a new 6.1.2 iphone on Ebay, bought it (for a fortune) then tried to activate it this morning. Verizon was having some issue getting it to activate, so the nice (but moron) lady on the other end had me do a "erase and restore" to try to solve the activation problem.

Well, I didn't know until now that is a big no-no on an already jailbroken iPhone. So now I'm stuck in some weird limbo where I can't restore (it hangs) and Cydia (although it appears) just hangs and flashes and won't load.

So even though I have a 6.1.2 firmware phone, I'm now in some quasi-state. Is it truly a brick now (as far as jailbreaking)? There is no way to manually get Cydia back on the phone or fix this mess? I hate Apple for this nonsense.

Hoping someone knows of a way to manually get Cydia or file system fixed on the 6.1.2 firmware to fix what the restore caused or get Cydia to load.

Thanks immensely for ideas or answers (either way).

Hold the home and power button down at the same time until you see the apple logo, as soon as you see it, let it go, then sync with iTunes , do NOT update, everything will be fine

Hold the home and power button down at the same time until you see the apple logo, as soon as you see it, let it go, then sync with iTunes , do NOT update, everything will be fine

What? This accomplishes nothing. OP's problem is that Cydia isn't opening as it would animate as if it's about open, but crashes back onto the Springboard, possibly because of missing files from the attempted erase all.

@masterbeat99, plug your device into your PC, download iFunBox for your operating system, run it, click on the iFunBox Classics tab on the top left and see if it recognizes your device

Hi willerz2 - thanks for the first answer of hope (agreed the first response is useless). I understand we probably have missing/corrupt files from the attempted restore, and that's what I need to fix. Just hoping there is a way to do so.

Yes, iFunBox recognizes the device and I can access the file system, but I'm unsure of what to do after that.

I was just stating what worked for me, and I didn't need to use ifunbox or whatever.

Connect your device to iFunBox, go to the Classics tab, go down to Cydia App Install, and drag this debian package into Cydia App Install, reboot your device and see if re-installing Cydia fixes the issue. Otherwise, we'll take additional steps.

Ok, I did that, dragged the deb over to Cydia App Install, saw it appeared in the column after dropping it there. Rebooted. Then I click on "Cydia" icon again and it just flashes and goes back to home screen. So doesn't appear anything changed. (I assume clicking on the Cydia icon is what you meant by "re-install Cydia"?)

Then it would be the fact that the restore attempt wiped some of the components of the jailbreak such as the core files. Unfortunately there's no way to fix that unless you snoop through every known directory and replace them appropriately.

Ugh. Ok, well, if I'm willing to do that, is there any source somewhere to find the files to replace in these directories? Since the directories exist and I can get to the root, would I be able to find these files/directories in a pakage somewhere on the web, or in one of my own backups from before? I have many backups on my PC (not the cloud) (not sure if they backup those directories). Willing to try anything, no matter how laborious, at this point as I just spent a ton of $ buying a new 6.1.2 phone and there don't seem to be any others available... :( Thanks again for your help

For example - an idea - when I try to "re-jailbreak" with Evasion (apparently only tool available for 6.x.x on iPhone 5), it says "already jailbroken" but lets me attempt again. Then it gives an error that says "Your device appears to be using a semi-tether jailbreak. Please use the evasion untether package from Cydia to untether instead."

But, I can't launch Cydia. Do you think I can try to get and install that package manually, or, alternatively along the ideas of that or your above suggestion, maybe find something that can be manually changed in the system to fool Evasion into doing another jailbreak routine?

There has got to be some way around it...

You can install the Evasi0n Untether patch manually, but I don't think this would fix the issue. But you can give it a try. Here's the download for the package. It's an older package but if it does end up fixing your issue, you can update it through Cydia.