What's new

Jailbreak IOS 6.1.2 second time to address Voice Memo APP & Safari Lockups

Sierra

Reaction score
Greetings,

Last week I updated (DFU Method) my JB from IOS 6.1 to 6.1.2 (using new computer). Today I just did a RESTORE chosing 6.1.2 Firmware (Shift Restore, select downloaded firmware in iTunes). JB on 6.1 was very stable with no issues, but after update to IOS 6.1.2, iPhone stock 'Voice Memo' app kept freezing then finally started working. Today Safari locked up the iPhone (Verizon iPhone 4), and I had to perform a RESET and noticed phone rebooted into SAFE MODE (hence the second restore). I just had recently moved my Library to a new computer, and synchronized it prior to 6.1 --> 6.1.2 migration.

I downloaded TinyUmbrella update and saved SHSH Blbs since 6.1.3 will roll out soon. I'm worried that I may have to "Restore" again, because the Voice Memo function worked until I Jail Broke. Same thing happen, it would freeze, or crash and ignore button presses. After closing the APP and rebooting the iPhone and a few more crashes, it is now working again. I'm concerned that I will run into lockup again after 6.1.3 has been deployed. I have very few CYDIA Apps (listed below) that I have purchased and re-downloaded (listed below):

Display Out
Display Recorder
WiFi Analyzer
3G Unrestrictor
NCSetings

Not sure what is causing such a shift in reliabilty from 6.1 (6.1 was upgraded from 5.1.1 JB).

TIA for thoughts....

Discovered problem is not due to jailbreak. Did another DFU restore, Restore as new then Restore from backup (sync). There must be something corrupted with my backup because I have not jailbroke yet and the phone is still crashing voice memo.

I wonder if this is due to ifunbox failure to access voice memos last week? Before transferring my entire iTunes library to a new computer I used Home Sharing in iTunes to move my library (not necessary) but iTunes threatened to delete all my voice memos because iPhone had synced to another library. So I tried iFunbox to attempt to access voice memo which never worked, but iTools did so I used it to backup voice memos.

Lastly I discovered copying iTunes library from old computer, and Sync will not delete files. It seems the attempt to use iFunbox on a non jailbroke phone has corrupted it in someway.

I now plan to restore using old computer (archive voice memos and photos using iTools) to restore. Backup is from Feb 8 when I updated to 6.1. It was stable then.

Well I spent a few hours yesterday and Saturday to resolve this issue. I tried a DFU restore from my original backup on old computer (I think it was from IOS 5.1.1) and that didn't solve crash.

So yesterday I backup my APPS to the iCloud (everything except photos not enough room) did DFU Restore, and Restored as new. Reset the phone to Restore from iCloud so I would have all my APP data. This took a while, then downloaded most of my APPs. What was impressive is the APPs were not updated versions (like Netflix 2.4.2 which I want to stay on). I got stuck in Loading a few times, tapping a waiting app would restart the stuck APP.

What is strange is iCloud does not back up voice memos, yet they were restored, not sure how. I used iTools to put my photos back on, although they are not in Camera Roll.

Good news Voice Memo now works. So as soon as I Sync the Apps restore wouldn't download (strange message during iCloud restore told me to Sync to get the rest) and I add my music, I will Jailbreak again.

Oh, and battery life is much better. Old IOS 5.1.1 jailbreak data must have really catered to these issues. So iCloud was a life saver, keeping App data. I'm sure there are tools available I could have done the same, but this was what I felt would guarantee fresh restore.