What's new

Jailbreaking an Iphone 4 with a twist

marcopolo024

Reaction score
Hey everyone I am new to the forum, I recently sold my Ipad and Iphone 4s for some new Samsung gear ( I know...sinner) BUT I want to get my sister an Iphone, she is younger and does not have internet access on are mobile network ( we have a really cheap plan grandfathered in from Cingular to ATT ). I would like to keep the plan but use an Iphone. I know in order to have an Iphone you must have a data plan, but would I be able to jailbreak it to accept the SIM from ATT and make phone calls without being able to go onto the internet. I figure that most of the apps wont work BUT if you turn the WiFi on it will? It is an Iphone 4 just in case that means anything. It has been a long while since the last time I jailbroke a iphone. All and any well would be great! Thanks for all your time!!

Unfortunately, what you'll run into is... AT&T will know she's using an iPhone and require that it be on a data plan. Jailbreaking won't be needed to use the AT&T SIM card. As well, Jailbreaking won't change the fact that AT&T will know it's an iPhone.

Does the iPhone have to be on the AT&T plan? If not you can jailbreak it and use it on straight talks $45 unlimited plan. As long as its still on 5.1.1 I'm pretty sure your sister would not like the tethered JB for 6.0.

Does the iPhone have to be on the AT&T plan? If not you can jailbreak it and use it on straight talks $45 unlimited plan. As long as its still on 5.1.1 I'm pretty sure your sister would not like the tethered JB for 6.0.

Don't need to JB an AT&T iPhone for use on Straight Talk. Jailbreaking doesn't allow an iPhone to be used on a different wireless provider. Unlocking is what you're thinking of. Either way... you don't need to Unlock or Jailbreak to use Straight Talk.

OH! Unlocking, thats what I need to do. It does not really need to be ATT, I just preffered it due to the reallly sweet plan we have for her. I will look into the straight talk from ATT. How exactly do you 'Unlock" it?

Thanks again guys!

Once it's out of factory, you'll have to get an IMEI unlock from either your carrier or online such as eBay, ApplenBerry.