What's new

Jailbreaking a 3G w/ iOS 4.2.1

ozzuen

Reaction score
I'm wanting to jailbreak an iPhone 3G w/ iOS 4.2.1, and I'm wondering what the best / recommend program to do so is. Any extra info is appreciated.

Sent from my iPhone using iPF.net

I'm not certain if the Jailbreakme.com method through your Safari browser works on that iOS version. However, sn0wbreeze from iH8sn0w.com will get you Jailbroke on iOS 4.2.1.

I tried using jailbreakme, but it says it doesn't support the 3G. However, they did have a link to redsn0w.

Also, I've read that you use "option+restore" OR "option+check for updates" to select the firmware that you want to use.

I'm getting lost and confused by this. Where do I find these options?

Sorry for my lack of knowing, but I haven't messed with my iPhone hooked to my pc very much.

Also, I've read that you use "option+restore" OR "option+check for updates" to select the firmware that you want to use.

I'm getting lost and confused by this. Where do I find these options?

Sorry for my lack of knowing, but I haven't messed with my iPhone hooked to my pc very much.

The options are referring to iTunes...

Ok, I finally got it figured out. I didn't know that you have to hold <shift> while clicking Restore.
I've tried using sn0wbreeze, but iTunes keeps giving me an error (1601, 1602).

therealb26 - I tried using greenposi0n, but I couldn't get it to recognize when the phone was in DFU mode.

Alright, I ended up using redsn0w, and it worked like a charm.

Thanks for all the help and suggestions.