What's new

Jailbreak Iphone 4 ios 6.0.1

XoKaty313Xo

Reaction score
Hi everyone I'm new here and to jailbreaking. I've been doing some research for a couple of weeks now and learning what I have to do. I have an Iphone 4 and it's running ios 6.0.1 I know I have to do a tethered jailbreak and download firmware 6.0 and use Redsn0w 0.9.15b2. So onto my question, over at insanelyios I downloaded the correct version of redsn0w but when I download the 6.0 firmware (from there & other sites) an error always pops up on the computer about the "write file failed and is corrupt". Does anyone know a reliable source where I can download the 6.0 firmware? Thanks!

About my iphone:
Iphone 4
Carrier: Sprint
Ios: 6.0.1 (10A523)

Last edited:
Thanks that must've been the problem because I was using IE

Ok, I finally got around to it today to try and jailbreak my phone. I downloaded the ios 6.0 restore that you provided (I downloaded through Mozilla) and I get this error when I start my Redsn0w and I'm using the latest version of Redsn0w. Any ideas as what to do?? I really want to be able to jailbreak my phone.

$Error.jpg

Will different browsers really make that much of a difference when it comes to downloading?

Yes. If you are using Internet Explorer to download the IPSW, it will default to downloading it as a .zip file (and sometimes, changing the extension doesn't work). Using another browser such as Chrome or Firefox guarantees you'll get a good IPSW file.

Marilyn

Ok, thanks! I did download via Mozilla so I will try Chrome next and see what that does. How will I know that redsn0w recognizes the restore? Will it say so?

Well for one thing it won't come up with the error we're getting at the moment. And it'll actually start stitching the blobs instead of walling you with errors that says this IPSW isn't supported or is this a real IPSW or this isn't compatible with the connected device

I just got my computer back so I decided to try my hand at jailbreaking again. I used the restore from the link you provided and the latest version of redsn0w, now when I use redsn0w and go to click on custom ipsw (my phone is connected to the computer) it says it's only available for 3GS and iphone. I have an iphone 4 so I have no idea why it's saying this. Has this happened to anyone else or any ideas? Should I use another version of redsn0w?

It shouldn't be a problem. Try creating it with the device unplugged and see if that makes a difference.