What's new

IOS 6.0.1 - Jailbreakers Beware!

f4780y

Super Moderator
Staff member
Reaction score
As has been reported elsewhere on the site, Apple released IOS 6.0.1 earlier today via update on iTunes and OTA.

Anyone interested in potentially jailbreaking their iPhone5, or any other iPhone capable of running 6.x for that matter, should steer well clear of this release for the time being. It is highly likely that Apple patched the vulnerabilities exposed at HITB 2012 earlier last month in this release!

In a surprise move, Apple has already closed the 6.0 signing window, so if you have not already saved your blobs for 6.0 it is already too late :(

On the bright side, analysis of the patches that have been made on 6.0.1 may well expose mechanisms to allow a 6.0 jailbreak to be developed and released sooner that would otherwise be possible. We can only live in hope!

Hi, how come I have the blobs for 6.0.1 on my Cydia already from when I jb my iPhone 4 CDMA when IOS 6 first came out. I updated to IOS 6 right away at that time but then did not like it & downgraded back to 5.11 so I can jb. I got no problems now. When you said IOS 6.0.1 was released today, I am puzzled cuz thats what my blobs are 6.0.1. :D

Gollum: -petting iOS 5.1.1 SHSH blobs- Oooohh~ My precious yes.

Sneaky of Apple. Releases a small hotfix to throw off everyone. Not cool....

BLOBS = Binary Large Objects

It is a software term for storing something in Binary format. To give you a feel for the difference.

A "String" object would store "Hello World".
A "Int" or integer object would store "2635".
A "Decimal" object would store "3.415".

Where as a blob would store data as 101011011011100011100011111.....

Now in reference to the conversation a blob is how Apple stores critical data used for encryption, decryption and signing of specific information in iOS. Without it the iOS device would not be able to run or install iOS properly.

I'm new to jail breaking and I have a iPhone 4S do I need or is it too late to backup the blobs I'm on ios6 I haven took the update.
Cheers for the reply........will

If you want to jailbreak your current version using a tethered jailbreak, then you don't want to update. If you don't plan to jailbreak at all, I have found no issues with 6.0.1 in the first 24 hours.

I do want to jailbreak but thought it was too late because I didn't have backup of blobs

You can still jailbreak but if something goes critically wrong and you have to "start over" then you will be forced to install iOS 6.0.1 based on what I have read here on the forum.

Cheers everyone for helping me to understand I will wait for untethered then

Where can I find the program to jailbreak iPhone 4S running 6.0?

Cannot JB the 4S on 6.0+ right now.
Still?

***edit***, I got hosed.... I didn't start really looking into jailbreaking until I was already on 5.1. & haven't been able to jailbreak since so I've just been lurking.

Like nufan, I'm also on 6.0 now. Should I bother updating to 6.0.1 or stick with 6.0 in the hopes that something will come out for me?

***Moderated Post to remove inappropriate language***

Last edited by a moderator: